Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ASwifey06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Am I responsible for this??
    Ok, so last weekend I had a small party. I live in a duplex and my downstairs neighbor is a very good friend of mine. She and her boyfriend were at my party. Everyone who was there brought their own alcohol. After the party was over and I woke up in the morning, my neighbor and her boyfriend came up to my apartment claiming that something had fallen from our deck during the party and put the tiniest dent ever on his car (seriously, it is the size of a pea). My husband went down to the driveway to look around and the only thing that was broken near my neighbor's boyfriends car was a beer bottle... and the only person that had been drinking that particular beer was the boyfriend. Furthermore, I had 4 witnesses tell me that they had seen the boyfriend throwing bottles off the deck into the woods.
    My neighbor and the boyfriend are claiming that it is our responsibility to pay for the damage. I disagree. What do you think?
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Oct 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
    I think, without a witness or the actual item that supposedly fell, they would have a hard time proving you or anyone at your party had anything to do with dent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Northwind is correct. There is no proof how or when the damage occurred. Ergo responsibility can't be assigned. I had a similar deal with a rental car a couple of years back. There was a very slight ding on the rear behind the wheel. You could only notice it if you looked at a certain angle. Since I was not hit by anyone while in the car, it must have happened in a parking lot. But the car was in my possession so I was responsible.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
    There's really no way to ascertain what caused the damage. It could have been done weeks ago. I don't see you being responsible. If it's really as minor as you suggest then what's the big deal anyhow? Try talking with your neighbor. If she really is the friend you say she is then you certainly ought to be able to reason with her and not let a molehill become a mountain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Responsible for child support [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé has 2 children with his ex (never married). When we get married will I be responsible for paying child support if for some reason he cannot (lets say he is unemployed). Does the amount of child support get based on his income or our combined income?

Am I responsible? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old son was convicted of possession of stolen property. He lived with us at the time and the property was found on our property, though it was by breaking & entering on the "victim's" part. Now my son, my ex-husband and I have to go to a deposition on a potential civil case from all of...

Can the landlord be responsible? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I am new here and have a rather important question. The tenant next door to me is extremely bothersome with his loud music and late night arguments with women. I have called the police on several occasions but this last one he went into a tantrum yelling expletives and told me that "i watch...

Am I Going To Legally Responsible For Her Debts? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I've been hooked up with a lady for over 12 years now and we're beginning to talk marriage. Problem is that she has a huge backlog of bills and debts while I own my home clear, have no outstanding bills and have a AAA credit rating. Question; If we got married would I be responsible...

Not responsible for bills [part 2] [ 4 Answers ]

How do I post a newspaper ad to declare I will not be responsible for bills incurred by others,do I need a lawyer for this?

View more questions Search