Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anjo1982 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 07:08 AM
    How to get your foot in the door when you don't know anyone?
    Almost every job that I have ever had I have gotten because I knew somebody. I'm 28, college degree (Biology) and have worked in biotech, teaching high school and a research assistant. Over the years I've also worked jobs such as painting and construction. All of these jobs I got because I knew somebody.

Two exceptions:
    In high school I had a job delivering pizza that I got by walking into the place and applying. I currently work in retail, where I walked in and applied.

I'm currently looking for jobs in health care or science fields. I've found that you can't just walk in and ask for an application. If you do you are just told to go home and apply online. These places emply hundreds if not thousands of people.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 12:52 PM

I didn't know anyone when I moved to this town. I simply threw my resume out there, I also went through those job-connect places. If your interested in a place, fax your resume, email it, send it by mail [mark it confidential so it'll just be opened by the boss], even drop it off in person.

I did that to get my job. The first resume will probably just be skim read, and by the third it'll catch their attention.

Keep trying. That's all I can really say: try. You won't get a job sitting down, you have to get out there and force-feed them your resume.

Also, make your resume sticks out from the bunch. Get some reference letters from your previous employer[s]. Write a great cover letter.

Good luck.
    Sarah
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
    This is a difficult time to find a job. Explore every possible avenue.

Network - make sure everyone you know and everyone you meet knows that you are looking for a job in this field. Eventually you might find out that someone knows someone who can help you.

Rather than go in to apply (you might catch someone at a bad time), call and ask if you may send your resume. 1 week after sending it, call to follow up.

Volunteer at a local hospital. This will allow you to meet the right people and allow them to see your skills and work ethic.

Good luck.
    anjo1982 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Appreciate the good answer. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foot pain on side of foot [ 33 Answers ]

Was hoping someone could help. I have pain on the outside of my right foot. It is 1/2 way down the foot, it is tender to the touch and makes walking difficult.. Any ideas what it is? Thanks..

10 foot garage door opening,cut out of 12" block wall,from small 2 story commercial b [ 5 Answers ]

I cut out a 10' garage door opening in small commercial buliding(2 story,12" block) i have put and adequate steel header in place,but somebody told me i am to "tie-in" bothe ends of the header to the masonry... is this a requirement? Or is this just an option? Can anybody help me? Are...

Foot in the door [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am in school currently studying criminal justice.I want to be a crime scene analyst but I need to know how I go about getting my feet in the door. I tried looking up the philadelphia morgue but I have not had any success please help!

How do I get my foot in the door [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 30year old mother of three from the east end of Glasgow ,I would love too be an actor How do I do it?

Foot pain and swelling top cneter portion of my foot [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The top of my foot is swollen and in pain. Thye took and exray and it showed degenerative changes in my foot? What does that mean? :confused:

View more questions Search