Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    upwell0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 03:04 AM
    Obama statement about vets' private health insurance - t or f?
    The following message was forwarded to me. I want to know if this reported 'quote' was actually made by Obama. It doesn't sound like something he would say. I have tried to research it but have had no success. Thank you in advance for your help.

Bad press, including major mockery of the plan by comedian Jon Stewart, led to President Obama abandoning his proposal to require veterans' private health insurance to cover the estimated $540 million annual cost to the federal government of treatment for injuries to military personnel received during their tours on active duty.

The President admitted that he was puzzled by the magnitude of the opposition to his proposal.. "Look, it's an all volunteer force," Obama complained. "Nobody made these guys go to war. They had to have known and accepted the risks. Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice? It doesn't compute."

"I thought these were people who were proud to sacrifice for their country," Obama continued. "I wasn't asking for blood – just money. With the country facing the worst financial crisis in its history, I'd have thought that the patriotic thing to do would be to try to help reduce the nation's deficit. I guess I underestimated the selfishness of some of my fellow Americans."
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 03:41 AM
    snopes.com: Barack Obama on Veterans' Health Insurance
    Mostly false.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama stepping into deep doodoo to tax veterans for health care [ 18 Answers ]

Get the tea parties ready for new Obama tax: "It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces...

Ruin Your Health With the Obama Stimulus Plan [ 35 Answers ]

This is one way to force socialized medicine on us, hide it in the "stimulus" package. As I noted before when tom touched on this, a lot of Americans (myself included) complain of insurance companies determining what treatments they’ll pay for. How do YOU feel about the feds making those...

Obama flips on health care mandates [ 22 Answers ]

"flip" Remember during those endlessly mind-numbing Democrat debates one of the "real " differences between the big B.O. and Evita was the issue of a mandate requiring individuals purchase health care .Evita was in favor and Obama correctly argued that mandates were wrong because a mandate...

No insurance on private property. [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a moving truck, at time of rental I purchased insurance through the rental agency. I was involved in an accident at a gas station in Ohio. I was making a right turn out of the station and I had my right turn signal on. This guy pulls up on my right side, in my blind spot. I did not see...

View more questions Search