Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acsjs2005 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Flea Infestation
    I have about 2 acres of property out in the country with 4 dogs and 4 goats, lately I have been picking fleas off myself and my kids after being outside.. it is getting worse, so now that my yard is infested how do I get rid of them I have tried every possible product you can buy in stores?? Help..
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 02:32 AM
    I'm afraid you're in for a lot of work this summer. First, make certain that you don't have them in the house. That's an entirely different problem.

Second, get rid of the vectors. Get the dogs on a flea prevention program. There are several that your vet can recommend. Also check to see if these fleas are attacking the goats, some species can, some won't.

Last, get rid of the source. You'll need a liquid overspray for the yard every couple of weeks until the fleas are gone. All the granular treatments work into the soil, and the flea is a surface dweller.
    acsjs2005 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 07:21 AM

Well yep I have tried all of those granules and the liquids but I have only done it once or twice... I treat my dogs every week or so by dipping them and applying flea treatments. I found something lastnight on the internet called "mosquito barrier" supposably it is guaranteed to work to keep fleas, mosquitoes, black flies and some other species out of your property... I ordered it $90.00 later... hope it works ! My last resort is to try seven dust and sulpher pellets.. Thanks for the advice...
    tojayne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 07:35 AM

Sevin dust is a great flea fighter put it all over the goats and dogs then spread some where they bed down at night. It won't get them all but it will help' Fleas in the house is another matter I have used bombs and they will work if you do this every 3 days for 2 weeks
    Hope this helps
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 09:27 AM
    The reasons for the repeated teatments is that the flea pupates inside a cocoon, much like a moth or butterfly. Inside the cocoon the pupa is protected from insecticides, as well as harsh environmental conditions and predators. This time of year in TX the pupal stage is about two weeks outside, hence the recommendation to re-spray that often.

Inside a home, the pupae can survive in the cocoons much longer, so you will need to "trick" them into coming out. The main factors to the adult's emergence are temperature, humidity, and vibration from a host animal passing by. On carpeted surfaces, the vibration of a vacuum cleaner's beater brush does a real good job. On smooth surfaces, the suction works. Using a fogging device every three days is rarely called for if you vacuum instead. Inside the vacuum cleaner bag they can survive, so either empty it or vacuum some flea powder to kill them in the bag.
    louis66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Cedar shavings are good for the yard, barn, dog pen and even the dog house. You can purchase a bag of them at a local yawn supply center or somewhere like Home Depot or even Wallmart. It worked great for my dog pen.
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2009, 02:29 PM

Banana stalks will get them also. Also walnut hulls.
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 05:04 PM
    This question has been answered. Myths are being spread now, so the thread is CLOSED

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flea Infestation! [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Everyone OK my house is infested with fleas. It is nasty and gross. Help how do I get this under control. Oh yes opps forgot to tell you. We have five 8 week old kittens which we are about to give away soon. But they are infested with fleas. We also have 3 cats that are infested with...

Kitten and mom flea infestation [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 week old kittens, their mom, and now my house are infested with fleas. What can I safely use?

Flea infestation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a male cat with flea infestation. I have tried pills,shampoo,sprays.I just cannot get ride of them. The said to use infestation .That did not work. I am at my wits in. My cat is a Male hemalain. Help

Bed bug infestation [ 2 Answers ]

I am renting an apartment and it has bedbugs. My daughter is allergic to the bite and cannot sleep there. Who is responsible for there removal? I have contacted the landlord several times and I am told someone will get back to me. It has been a month since I first called. I live in Washington PA.

View more questions Search