Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CocoChannel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Life during long distance love
    Hi I am a 25 year old female. I believe I am heading towards being manic depressive. It all started a year ago when my boyfriend of 2 years decided to emiggrate to the UK because he believes there are better opportunities for a life together are there. He left 4 months ago. And I feel like I have nothing in my life that is worthwhile anymore. We are still in a long distance relationship. I am going to see him in the next 3 months which I will then be faced with the decision to move over myself to be with him.

The problems I am experiencing are within myself. I feel like I had the perfect life before he made his decision. I had a great job.. my family and I are extremely close, I had great friends and then I had him.. life was going the way I felt it should go... then I had bomb drop on me. In the preparation towards his departure I began preparing myself for worst case and best case scenarios... I thought I would be OK. But I am not... I feel like I have no life... I hate my job.. my relationships with family and friends are rapidly deteriorating and I feel so aggrevated that my boyfriend is on another continent! I don't know what to do.. I am so deep in this black hole that making simple decisions has become my worst nightmare.. I cannot handle stress nor can I handle any kind of disappointment... I am stuck in the middle of nowhere... Please help!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
    How did you go from loving your job and being close to your family and friends to hating your job and having relationships with family and friends are rapidly deteriorating? Just because a partner enters or exits your life it shouldn't affect those things.

Jun 11, 2009, 10:45 AM

That is exactly what I thought! But I have become so isolated.. irritable.. and I feel extremely lonely. Even though I am surrounded by people who love me.. I still feel alone. How did I go from being so independent and strong to someone who can't even cope with every day life?. I feel there is something wrong with me mentally... I am pushing everyone away and all I want to do is be alone :(
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 10:49 AM

Have you tried talking to a therapist? You said that you feel there is something wrong with you mentally. You also mentioned you feel like your heading toward manic depression. You haven't said anything that sounds like what my understanding of manic depression is... but sometimes it just helps to talk to someone. You might even be suffering from regular depression (as opposed to manic).

Jun 11, 2009, 10:54 AM

Yes I have seen a therapist... and I feel like she doesn't help... I want to talk to someone who will give opinions and perhaps some suggestions.. not just sit and listen to me...

Well I have always had normal ups and downs... but nothing ever like this... I can't even make decisions anymore! My mind is always running backwards and forwards..

I would even like a suggestion on how to handle this... I feel like I have nothing to wake up to in the mornings.. nothing to look forward to.. my life is boring and I suffer from jealousy. So many girls younger than me are having the life I have always dreamed of.. I can't even pin point the problem... that is how messed up I feel. I can't sleep, I don't have an appetite, I have no interest in anything, I have no hobbies... I have lost all optimisim.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 11:11 AM

If you don't like the therapist you're seeing now, find a new one.

And here's some tough love for you... stop whining already. No one can fix you. You have to be willing to make changes. "my life is boring and i suffer from jealousy" make your life interesting then. You have no hobbies. Find some! And you suffer from jealousy? What does that even mean? Its normal for people to get jealous to some degree. But when you say you suffer from it I imagine you sitting there watching people looking for things to be jealous about. Stop thinking about what other people have. Find things in your own life to be happy about.
    There's my suggestion on how to handle this. Hopefully I've inspired you to get out and go do something fun instead of upset you. Go take a dance class or a yoga class or something. Those always make me feel better.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Just to reiterate what was said above, you'll never be happy with someone else unless you are happy with yourself. A man should not suddenly make your life interesting and stable, that's too much pressure on one person. A mate should integrate into your life nicely not completely take it over.

I've had 2 nice LDRs: Canada-UK and two provinces away (9 hours drive). When I wasn't with the person I was busy at home with sports, bars, family, etc. I ended marrying the girl from two provinces away - I moved there, there were very good logical reasons for me to do so.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

Life long love and friendship has been harmed [ 5 Answers ]

Good evening, I am brand new to the site and have never sought help for anything in my personal life on the internet but sometimes a different perspective is needed and someone might see things from a different angle or from one's own personal experience. Here goes: Up front I must explain...

Long-distance love? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, I'm 14. I live somewhere in New York. I met this girl whose 16 in a chat room(pathetic, I know). We talk on the phone all the time, and she's told me that she likes me a lot, and I think I may like her too. Now, here's my problem: she lives in the midwest US. For those of you who don't know,...

She has long distance boyfriend and her and I love each other [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have a big problem, I am 14 and I love this girl. She loves me, however she also loves her boyfriend that lives in mexico... (we live in canada) we have made out, I've fingered her and we almost had sex etc but she still won't dump him... any advice?

Long distance love [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a girl from the big city and have heard this story from others but I need help. I met my boyfriend now husband I guess on vacation in mexico about two years ago. He's cute, a ladies man. We met and fell in love big time. Well he came here for me. I married him on a fiancée visa. :o ...

View more questions Search