Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnvlv247 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Obnoxious Barking
    HI, my aunt got another dog about 2 years ago and she is about 10 yrs old. She is VERY active and loves going for walks. Whenever I get the dogs collars she goes crazy and runs around and barks nonstop really loud and it's annoying. It's worse when my aunt gets home.

When my aunt arrives from work, she starts barking at her and won't stop. She knows that when my aunt comes home, we all go for a walk. She will bark and bark and then bark more and even louder when my aunt is getting their collars and we are getting ready to go for a walk. When my aunt gets home and just wants to relax a little bit before a walk, the dog just barks at here. She sometimes stops if we ignore her for a while but otherwise she is just very obnoxious. What can we do? We try to have her sit and calm her down, but it's only temporary. My aunt sometimes yells NO, which I know is no help :(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 06:15 AM

Being that she is 10 years old and we have no idea of her past history it is difficult to tell you what to do.

What you are doing with trying to get her to sit and calm down is good...

Does she know any commands... like, does she actually understand the command "sit"?

She just really loves her walks and the previous owners probably thought her getting so excited was 'cute'

You could try walking her at different times of the day so it "confuses her" and she never knows when her walk will be but for a 10 year old dog her routine might be everything to her... she is getting on in years so training will be difficult too.
    Don't give up, keep trying with the commands and she may catch on.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 03:41 PM

I follow the Caesar method with dogs like this. No touch, no talk, no look until the dog calms down. Ignore her, she's not there until she calms down.

Once she does (this may take some time due to her age) then put her into a sit. If she sits and stays then put on the leash.

You are the first one out the door when going for a walk, you are the leader, assert yourself as such.

While on the walk she is not to sniff around, do what she wants, you are the leader and she must follow your lead, do not stop for her.

Half way through the walk she can have a 15 minute sniff and potty break, after that it's back to the walk.

Calm and assertive, that's what both you and your Aunt need to be. This method has worked wonders for me.

Like I said before, it may take some time, but I don't believe an older dog can't learn new tricks.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Barking Dog going to be taken away! [ 6 Answers ]

My friends boyfriend has an Akita that is disrupting the neighborhood with constant barking. She has a doggie door, and loves to be outside. She doesn't bark when there is someone home, but as soon as they leave, the barking is constant! If she is left inside during the day when they are at...

Dog barking to go outside at 3am [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. We have two 5 year old, female weimaraners. Awesome dogs. However, in the last month or so one of them gets up to go outside every night at around 3:00am. She goes outside before we go to bed and pees. When she goes out at 3am she pees and poops. She'll bark outside our bedroom door and then...

Barking Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Paddy and his missus are lying in bed listening to the next door Neighbour's' dog barking. It had been barking for hours and hours. Suddenly Paddy jumps up out of bed and says "I've had enough of this". He goes downstairs. Paddy finally comes back up to bed and his wife says, "The dog...

19 & pushy.friends girlfriend is obnoxious [ 5 Answers ]

This is bugging the hell out of me. My friends girlfriend is 19, I'm 21, he's 23. We all worked together, until he quit to pursue his career. Nevertheless, he'll come in and hang out, talk to everyone he used to work with and I guess to see the girlfriend as well. A bunch of us were talking to him...

Barking mad [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 2 year old long hair dachshund he is my best friend and we both have been through a lot together especially this year , but he has a barking problem. When I go to work he barks all day and I only know this because my neighbours have complained about him . When he is with me he is...

View more questions Search