Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TaxGeneral Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Best Way To Approach Competitors?
    What is the absolute best way to ask competitors about their business and what makes them successful? What are some great questions to submit to them for answers?

1040 Out...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2009, 05:01 PM

Hello Tax:

Let me get this straight. You want to talk to your competition, to steal their ideas so that you can compete against them using their own stuff...

Good luck with that.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 05:27 PM

You have people who they don't know, go into their store as customers and spy on them.

You find a ex employee of thiers or even a current employee who will give you their information.

Jun 10, 2009, 06:40 PM
    To All...

Let me clarify the question... what I am trying to do here with competitive questioning is to simply ask them about their business... likes, dislikes, what brought them to this decision, how did expansion promote their business, etc... I am not stealing any information, I am gaining information so that when I open my own business, I will be able to take the great parts of everyone that shared with me and follow their paths to greatness.

This route was suggested to me by individuals who have taken small business' and turned them in to household names being traded daily on the market.

Thanks for your constructive input.

1040 Out!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2009, 08:02 PM

Hello again, Tax:

I think I saw a movie about a guy who wooed the secrets out of his competitors because they loved him. He went into business against them, beat the crap out of them, and they STILL loved him.

If you can do it, you're a better man than me. Who knows? You could be that guy.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 08:16 PM

You could I guess hire a independent firm to try and do surveys, but honestly, most business people are not going to give someone in the same business, in the same area any info to help them. You may look at people in a different market area, for example if you are in St Louis find out about others doing this in Atlanta, and Memphis perhaps

Jun 10, 2009, 09:52 PM

Christianity Expert, Excellent thought process and I have some letters drafted for that very purpose. I was just wondering what are some good questions to ask other companies...
    SafeHeart Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 08:55 PM

Even if you ask the competitor the secrets of their success, they might not tell you the truth. There are books on business strategy. Study them and look into what these people are doing that works.
    cochise7969 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2
    -

Jul 23, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Yeah that's imposable, to ask your competitor what makes them win so you can copy it? I think the only way that will work is if you torcher them Rambo style.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I approach this? [ 33 Answers ]

All right so I was dating this girl for a couple weeks through long distance. She was about 6 hours away from me. Before we started to date we had been talking for about a month and a half. The reason we broke up is because she said she saw a new side of me that she didn't like. She told me I had...

Who do I first approach [ 2 Answers ]

:) hello all, my name is peter and I have been in the health sector for around 7 yrs now and presently employed by the nhs as a duty officer with learning disabilities, I am considering starting a care agency and would truly appreciate all the advise you can give me as so that I can provide the...

View more questions Search