Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swolfe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 04:12 PM
    Will removing 8" of play in the pull cord on my push mower improve the difficult star
    I have a Cub Cadet self propelled 21" push mower that is a bear to start. I just changed the spark plug, cleaned out the air filter and it has fresh gas and plenty of the correct kind of oil.
    My husband and my 17 year old son can start it after 3 or 4 attempts, but I do not have enough strength to pull sharply on the rope. I have noticed that there is 8 or 9 inches or play in the rope before it engages. Is this too much slack and does not allow the flywheel to turn adequately? It seems like it catches but then it doesn't start. Small puff of grey smoke when my husband finally starts it for me. I have heard you can take off the cover and recoil the rope to remove the slack, but the spring unwinds and it usually takes 2 people to get it back together. Worth a try?
    Thanks
    Jeanette
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 04:18 PM

8" of play is not causing the hard start so I would not bother messing with that spring. How long since its been turnedand has anyone ever adjusted the mixture? If all else fails you could let Sears or a pro tune it up and clean the carb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

Push Mower Starter Cord Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

John Deere Push Mower-Starter Cord Broke What are the replacement steps?

Removing Watco Push Pull Tub Drain - ARGH! [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, this shouldn't be this difficult, but I'm now officially stumped. I'm a pretty handy guy, and have replaced faucets and even run drain lines. But this seemingly very simple project is beating me! I would like to replace a Watco push pull drain in our master garden tub. Removing the top part...

Mower Pull Cord [ 2 Answers ]

Our mower was working fine. One day it stalled and now the cord will only pull out about 4-6 inches. It seems as there is a safety catch stopping the cord from being pulled all the way. There is a "click" when it reaches the 4-6" point. I am holding down the safety bar, but nothing. Any ideas?

Push mower cord stuck [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman push mower, model #917.387620. The cord is stuck. It won't start the mower. Any advice? Thanks. Kimmell North Carolina

View more questions Search