Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bugmenot Posts: 40, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 10, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Cash in 401K to buy a house?
    I'm considering buying a house this year to take advantage of low mortgage rates and the first-time buyers' $8000 credit. If I can put together a decent down-payment I can get a great interest rate.

Making the end-of-year deadline might require cashing in my 401K. I have a small sum in my 401K, about $11000. So the question is, would it be better to cash in the 401K early, with all the associated tax penalties, to get the $8000 now, or would it be better to keep saving for the down-payment without the cash injection, and miss out on the credit?

I am 38 years old, so still have a long working life ahead of me.
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2009, 08:59 AM

I believe that you can borrow money from you 401K and pay it back over time. Check it out with a professional.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2009, 09:04 AM

Don't cash it out, borrow against it. With a 401K loan whatever intwerest you pay is paid to yourself so its just adding to your savings.

It is a close call here, though. The penalites will be approximately somewhere between $3K and $5K depending on your taxable income for the year. So, you will still be getting $3-$5K from the tax credit. But that's a significant reduction.

If you take a loan, you get all the $8K pluse you get to put even more in your 401(k).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash out 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I 'm moving to Cancun Mexico when I retire this month. I would like to cash out my 401K, Do I pay taxes when I cash out or when filing an tax return which will be hard since I will Be out of the country.

401k cash out [ 3 Answers ]

I still owe hardship loan on 401k but I would like to cash out how would or could I cash out?

Cash out 401k [ 2 Answers ]

If you cash in a 401K that was only about $3,500 how will that affect your income tax return the following year?

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

View more questions Search