Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mosag330 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jun 10, 2009, 11:23 AM
    What should I do about Father's Day?
    I very recently started spending time with a great guy-- we've started dating, we aren't officially in a relationship yet, but that's definitely where it's headed (sometimes you know it will-- if you know what I mean.)

My question is this: He has an 18 month old son. When Father's Day rolls around, should I give him a card or something? I want to, but it seems awkward to me. Thoughts?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 11:28 AM

If it feels awkward, don't do it. As you stated, you are not in a relationship yet, so there is no reason for you to send him a card.
    If you happen to talk to him on that day, wish him one verbally.
    emmahasteami Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2009, 11:30 AM

I don't understand? Why would you be giving him a card ? Isn't that what the son/daughter is supposed to give not the partner?? Sorry if I've read this wrong
    mosag330 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jun 10, 2009, 12:20 PM

Maybe it's just my family and who I know, but we do a little something for all of the fathers-- so the uncles and grandfathers and family friends get cards too, not just from their own kids. That's just what's normal for me. Mother's Day is the same. Anniversaries usually get a small present or card too, even though they aren't married to US for twenty years... lol.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 12:23 PM

It's completely acceptable for you to remember and tell him Happy Father's Day, but it is the responsibility of the child's mother to get a card from the child or do for the father.

If you spend time with them both you can help encourage the toddler to give a hug, but there is no necessity for you to get a card for him and it would be a bit over your bounds.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 12:34 PM

It's okay to remember to tell him Happy Father's Day, if you don't want to get him something, then you don't have too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Son has father's last name [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 20 year old single mother of a 2 year old little boy and when he was born I gave my son his father's last name thinking the father was going to be in his son's life. Turns out... he isn't and I want to change my son's last name. The father isn't coming around unless it is on his time and his...

Father's rights [ 7 Answers ]

I am 16 and am not sure about the pregnancy of this girl and I would like to get the information on how to sign my rights off and do I still have to pay child support.

Father's rights [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My brother has a child by a young lady. The daughter lives with her mother and is supposed to come visit him on the weekends. Suffice it to say, my brother stays with my parents. Every time she visits, he mom calls and states that they are having something special and demands that the...

Father's rights [ 2 Answers ]

What state laws apply for parental rights, when both parents are military and not married. Mom lives in Maryland and is a Pennsylvania resident. Dad lives in Japan and is a resident of North Dakota.

Father's rights [ 7 Answers ]

If a father does not sign a birth certificate at the time of the child's birth, does he have any rights over the child?

View more questions Search