Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TJ17 Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Jun 9, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Spyware Maybe?
    I usually know exactly what goes on with my comp daily and I've got Avast, CCleaner, Malwarebytes' AntiMalware, Hijackthis so I'm pretty well covered by whatever comes along, but lately I've noticed something different when I've used my CCleaner to clean up my system.

Usually there's only been a few hundred bytes when I normally use it but in the last week or so I guess I have been deleting 34.5mb or sometimes 69mbs and at first I thought nothing of it but it kept on happening, again an again.

So I tried a little test and I cleaned my comp out with the cleaner and it came up as usual and then I did nothing with the comp, no touching anything and I sat there for 15 minutes then I clicked the CCleaner again and sure enough it was there again.

So something is happening somewhere on my comp and I can't find it, it's like it's hiding.
    This is what I see when I use the cleaner;

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\BIT9B0.tmp 34.5MB
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\BITB4E.tmp 34.5MB

I have no idea what BIT9B0.tmp & BITB4E.tmp are because I've tried to find them but can't, so if anyone has any ideas what they are please let me know, thanks.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 07:36 PM

It could be malware, but it could just as easily be some useful program creating a temporary file. I've seen this behavior on half a dozen or more systems that were clean installs. I wouldn't worry about it.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 10:04 PM

Have you tried to delete the files manually?

If they are in use, try deleting them in safe mode and reboot

If they come back, check your startup tab in msconfig to see if anything is starting you may not be familiar with.

How about hijackthis, anything out of place there or unusual listing?

If so and they come back, something is triggering them to be recreated.

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.
    TJ17 Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Jun 9, 2009, 10:38 PM

I would delete them if I could find the slippery little buggers. Lol

Looked in Startup Tab and Hijackthis, couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, even did a system restore and that didn't do anything either.
    The only things new are Adobe Flash Player, Foxit Reader 2.3 and that's about it, but I don't think they are doing anything.

But I'll give the deleting in safe mode an rebooting a try, if that doesn't work I might have to reinstall my system again, because even if there not doing anything that I can tell, I don't want to take any chances with them on my comp because you never know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spyware mdm.exe [ 2 Answers ]

I have an unwanted file MDM.exe in C:\WINDOWS.when deleted it reloads its self.there is also a file ravmon.exe in each hard drive.my anti virus detects it but can't remove it.tell me what to do.

Spyware [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Can someone please help me. My computer has recently been infected with spyware and I think it is using Windows Messenger to send these files to and from my computer. I have done a virus scan and the file that appears is sq.ini I have deleted this file and my computer is still...

Spyware [ 3 Answers ]

What is , "Common hijacker?"

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

View more questions Search