Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tc salas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Confused dad
    How does a father give up rights to a child he's never had to pay state issued child support to?
    Rezo247 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Jun 9, 2009, 06:05 PM

You would need to fill out custody paper work relinqishing your rights to the child and get it signed by the other parent accepting full parental rights of the child with no future claims for child support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 06:06 PM
    The father can't give up his "rights" and even if he did somehow ( short of a step parent adoption) he would still owe child support.

And it is not that he has not "had" to pay, either the mother has not filed a support order or he is merely in contempt and violation of a court order by not paying.

One of the very few reasons is for a step parent adoption
    Rezo247 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Jun 9, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    The father can't give up his "rights" and even if he did somehow ( short of a step parent adoption) he would still owe child support.

And it is not that he has not "had" to pay, either the mother has not filed a support order or he is merely in contempt and violation of a court order by not paying.
    Please check your facts before you post Fr_Chuck. I have personal knowledge of this being possible as a friend of mine who had cancer did this so his former girl friend could marry and the husband could adopt the child. He was sick and didn't want the child knowing about him at all.

Ref: WikiAnswers - Can father relinquish parental rights
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 06:27 PM

I am still laughting, first wiki is about as poor a reference as you could ever use, heck they list me as a major religioius leader of the US for the past 3 years, I leave that there.

As for as the other, we have legal experts including lawyers here that will tell you in general, a father can not just give up his rights, there are a few exceptions but they are rare.

The adoption of the child is the one exception, as I did list.
    You did not list that and the original poster did not metion it either.

We pride ourself in good correct answers here, most by legal experts, if you wish to last long here you will learn to use proper legal research, wiki is not that by any level.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

He included the scenerio of clearing the way for an adoption, which is one of the only ways a father can relinquish his rights.

But the original poster never mentioned an adoption.

The court does not allow for minor children to be 'bastardized' with only a mother just because a father doesn't want to be involved or pay support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confused [ 2 Answers ]

I really like this one guy that I met about 2 years ago in school and I've liked him ever since. He was in my class and we were pretty close. Summer vacation started and I didn't see him as much anymore until school started this year. Everything changed... I mean, we used to talk a lot! We used to...

Confused ! [ 5 Answers ]

Qwaqwa

I'm Confused [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Well OK I have this boyfriend name Carlos I have been with him for 1 year and almost 7 months... everything between us was great until I started talking to this girl name Jazmin, Jazmin she is so pretty people say I am prettier than her, and others say she is prettier than me I don't...

I am so confused [ 8 Answers ]

In my grade me and this girl amanda are suppose to be friends but thanother days she ignores meand glares at me, and it's a pattern, I really think she's cool but she's being weird, whatdo I do?

View more questions Search