Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbcooper112471 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Motherboard replacement.
    Beside knowing how to replace a motherboard.What do I have to know to replace one beside the size of it? I have 2 older computers that have bad motherboards.They were made around 2002 and are Dells. Dell wanted around $300. For replacements.Is there a website to buy older generic motherboards at a fair price?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 05:19 PM
    For any period, the motherboard, processor, and memory can be considered a set of given vintage. That is, when replacing the motherboard, often the processor and memory need to be changed as well since the processor socket format and the memory form factor have changed over time. When replacing older motherboards, it is hard to find currently manufacturered boards that will work with processors or memory 3 years old and practically nonexistent for 7 years old. Therefore you have two choices, find a used surplus board compatible with the old processor and memory, or upgrade all three to current technology. Upgrading all three is often comparable to the cost of just the board from vendors who stock vintage replacements, as you discovered. My personal preference is to upgrade all three to current technology as buying obsolete tech doesn't make sense to me (it also avoids compatibility issues with vendor specific memory), however given the age of your machine, you will likely find it has parallel ATA hard drives and CD drives. Many current boards have serial ATA connectors for the hard drives and a single parallel ATA connector for optical drives. The two ATA formats are not physically compatible, and it is another factor to be considered while looking for a board. Adapters are available but that just adds to overall cost. Another potential gotcha is that the power supply may need to be upgraded for power capacity and connector format to match current hardware. Also some Dell supplies are proprietary.

My cut off point for trying to match old hardware is 3 years - longer than that and it is very time consuming to find suitable replacement parts. I usually begin a board search by selecting compatible boards with the features needed from the information on motherboard manufacturer's web sites. Once a few board models are selected, I then Google the board model to find a seller. I haven't found a one-stop "Boards'R'Us" type site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New motherboard,and cpu [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cumputer that I just put a new motherboard,and cpu into.I turned on the computer and the board and fans and the cd-rom drives work,but I can't get the monitor to show me anyhting.I have 512 ram installed,tried installing the new bios cd but can't get anything to happen.what am I doing...

Motherboard came from? [ 1 Answers ]

I was given this light brown and light ornge colored M.B. that says P4SD(or O)-LA. Any idea what it came out of?not much else on it (it has a : mPGA478B).I need to look up the manual on it.HELP! PLEASE!

Motherboard... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I wonder how to find out if my motherboard is ATX or not, cause I'm buying an new midi tower for my PC and I wonder if my current motherboard will fit in to it...

View more questions Search