Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akiko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 01:17 PM
    I am in the middle of a biology course I did an experiment last week and have forgotten the answer when mixing liver enzymes with water why is there no reaction:rolleyes:
    INSwimmer Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by akiko
    i am in the middle of a biology course i did an experiment last week and have forgotten the answer when mixing liver enzymes with water why is there no reaction:rolleyes:
    You need energy. NADPH regenerating reaction. Plus Phosphate Reaction Buffer.
    What was the reaction you were hoping for? Did you need to oxidize something?
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Nov 28, 2006, 03:59 AM
    Well liver enzymes... are protiens,, and protiens are insoluble in water, so most probably no reaction would take place..
    OK .

But you see enzymes are usually basic .so just what will happen is that it will make a dilution

Well you see ,u need to specify here that the liver enzyme you are going to solubilize are in what state are they
    I mean if they are extracted n r in most stable form
    Because usually they are mixed in buffer and are at maintained temperature to arrest the activity... so you need to specify a bit more.

Well most aparently noreaction would take place from your statement quoted, if correct>>...
    SitCom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 01:46 PM
    The liver enzyme that you were most likely working with (which is also present in potatoes) is "catalase." Catalase is a "neutral" working enzyme (works best at a pH level of 7). It converts hydrogen peroxide H202, into a water molecule (H20) and a hydrogen atom. So the point that your prof was most likely getting across was that catalase will do nothing when introduced to water because the substrate has already been broken down.
    SitCom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 02:13 PM
    Sorry, It converts hydrogen peroxide H202, into a water molecule (H20) and an oxygen atom.**** my bad

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liver Lesion [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 21 yr-old female. About a month ago I had a laparoscopic surgery, taking out a dermoid cyst. Before the surgery I had a CT scan for the purpose of examing the cyst. However, the report indicated that there is a leision to the liver as well. Specifically, "A tiny low attenuation lesion...

Liver cancer- any helpful info welcome! [ 209 Answers ]

Both my mother and my sister have heptitis C. Now my sister been diaganosed with liver cancer. What suggested treatment for my sister? And sugested prvention for my mother. Thanks in advance for all input.

How do you feel about mixing humor with advices? [ 8 Answers ]

How do you feel about mixing humor with advices? I want to give good answers to questions but I would like to add humor while I am doing it. Sure, I don't want to do it when questions are rather serious. I just want to do it when topics are on the lighter side. Is it just me or others feel the...

Enzymes [ 1 Answers ]

Can enzymes pass through your large and or small intestines to enter your blood stream?? The enzymes I am most interested in are serratia, papain, bromelain, amylase, lipase. If they do would they dissolve/eat "plaque" and other stuff that is not alive??

View more questions Search