Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chameleon24 Posts: 70, Reputation: 7

Jun 9, 2009, 12:52 AM
    I think I might have OCD
    To give some backstory... I've always had this fear of spiders. At the end of last year I moved away for school. Back in March I moved into my own apartment out here and it's the first time I've lived by myself. Since the move I noticed my fear of spiders got worse. A lot worse. It got to a point where I just couldn't stand it anymore. I looked online and tried some ways of getting over this fear but nothing was really working. Actually, things felt like they were getting worse. So I decided to go see a psychologist in the area who specializes in phobias. I've only had one appointment so far but I'm hoping this won't be a waste of time.

Back to my main point though... the realization just hit me that I might have OCD. When it comes to my arachnaphobia... I constantly do things or have thoughts in my mind about it. I'm always looking around my apartment... checking out cracks or corners or nooks. Constantly spraying bug spray around, more then I should be. And sometimes I keep having thoughts about them, even if I haven't seen one. I'm always looking around like I'm going to see one and it gets me paranoid and stressed out.

And there are other things I do that are non-spider related. I always have to check my closet doors before I go to sleep or when I get home from somewhere and look under my bed. I was like that back when I lived with my parents too. I always have to check my alarm clock a bunch of times after I set it. And I always feel I have to get things done right away. If I have some errand to run... it's like I have to do it right that instant. Even if I don't have to. Ex) I have to go cash a check at the bank but I have to sit through class and it bothers me all during class for some reason. Or right when I get a bill in the mail I have to go write the check and put it out in the mail right then and there. Even though I have a few weeks until it's due. Just crazy stuff like that.

I always did this stuff and never thought it could be OCD until something came up about it online and I looked at more info about it and it sounded like me. Obviously I don't really tell people that I do these things so no one ever asked about it. Could that be what is making my phobia so bad?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2009, 07:58 AM

I would say you are OCD
    You can go get counselling for this but one of the best ways to get over it is to wean yourself off the habits. Make conscious efforts to not look in the closet, not spray bug spray, not obsess on thoughts.

I know it is easier said than done but you have to retrain your thought patterns.
    Force yourself to think of other things when those things pop in your head.
    Force yourself to refrain from acting on them. '
    Sit and watch bugs in a yard or somewhere.
    Do things contrary to what you feel compelled to do.

I heard that OCD therapists make you do the things you are worrying about so you see they aren't so bad. Like if you hate dirt they make you go play with dirt.

(Don't play with spiders though :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search