Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrepen Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2009, 11:37 PM
    Injured childless under 55 spouse
    Hello. I finally received my injured spouse forms from the IRS and I'm a bit confused and possibly incredibly angry.

I got married in 2008 and filed a joint return. After waiting 3 weeks for my direct deposit, I was finally informed by the IRS that our entire refund had been offset to pay for my husband's student loan.

1. He accrued this debt years before we were married.
    2. He only worked half the year, so the majority of the income was mine.

According to every reference I've seen, I should not be liable for this debt and I should be able to recover my portion of the refund, right?

Now, after waiting 2 months for the Injured Spouse Allocation form to arrie, the trouble I'm having is with Part I, line 9:
    "Did you claim a refundable tax credit..."
    If "No," I'm not an injured spouse?!

Am I to understand that because I can't afford to have kids, can't afford to take care of my elderly parents, can't afford to go to school, can't afford to save for my retirement, and can't afford to go to the doctor, I'm not eligible to the money I worked for and overpaid to the IRS and now can't afford to pay my bills?

Somebody please tell me I'm reading this wrong before I call the IRS and scream at somebody!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 09:47 AM
    At first glance, it appears that your reading is correct.

However, I would call the IRS and calmly ask them to explain why you cannot fill out the allocation even though you are claiming no credits. Screaming at the IRS representative does no one any good.
    mack20007 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Jun 10, 2009, 03:37 AM
    Its sad, you're misreading the form and come to an incorrect conclusion.

You stated you worked for wages, and presumable had federal income tax withheld.
    If so "BEFORE" you reached line 9, you should have done line 6, which says...

Line 6 - Did you make and report payments, such as federal income tax withholding or estimated tax payments? IF, Yes. Skip lines 7 through 9 and go to Part II and complete the rest of this form.

WHY DO LINED 7-9 WHEN FITW HAS BEEN WITHHELD FROM YOUR PAY WHEN THE FORM SAYS NOT TO ? AND BECAUSE You're MISREADING THE FORM YOU WANT TO CALL AND YELL AT THE IRS.

Take your time and read the form carefully, community prop. Residence usually look at 50% split regardless of who made what however.

Best of Luck
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Nice catch, Mack! I reviewed the Form before posting my answer and missed the instructions on Line #6.
    jrepen Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2009, 09:21 PM

I was so sure they were going to find a way to further screw me over, I missed that on line 6. Mack, maybe I should have stressed how frustrating it is to have to rely on my returns to pay off my winter bills. Maybe if I had explained that I'm only $2,000 away from qualifying for the EITC and that I've already had my heat turned off once already while waiting for my money which was slated for a direct deposit that never came you would understand why my eyes are crossing in anger. If you had to drive to work every day in a car that might fall apart any minute because you can't afford to fix it, you may be a tad less condescending. I appreciate you pointing out my mistake, but try a little tact. It's nice. So are apostrophes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file as an injured spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am in the process of doing my taxes and I found out not long ago that my husband has not been paying child support for his son from his previous marriage. I'm worried that now I'm going to be penalized for that. I found out that I can file as an injured spouse so my income is not affected....

Injured spouse form [ 2 Answers ]

If I had my taxes done by someone else and they filed them electronically and then I had to file an injured spouse form, where does the check go? To me in the mail? Or to them?

Injured spouse ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.My name is Tiffany.I have filed jointly w/my husband, for at least 3 yrs. Now.Every year child support &/or student loans have taken every bit of refund we're owed. Can I file "injured spouse"? And if I can, can I still do it now since I've already filed? ...

Injured spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I have had to filed injured spouse forms with our income tax the past 5 or 6 years but this year I am unsure as my husband and I have been separated since January of 2006 I know I can file as head of household but I was wondering if I still had to file an injured spouse form.

Injured spouse form [ 1 Answers ]

I filed an injured spouse form in early February. An at first I had a mail out date of feb,20. Now they say I have a delay I want to know how much longer do I have to wait I'm trying to move an I just want my money so I can stop putting my life on hold!! :

View more questions Search