Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bk39 Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 05:54 PM
    HDMI.VGA.DVI.where do they go and what do they do?
    I have a new HP PC and flat screen monitor.
    The instructions I have did not explain clearly enough to me as I am not computer proficient.

Could someone out there explain, in easy to follow instructions, the hookup of the various cables I have and what, specfically, they do?

1. I have one cable with a round black male indented end with a sinle prong in it and with two small doohickeys at the other end, where does it go and what does it do?

2. Another wire has a black male prong on one end and a small doohickey, black, about1/2" x 1/45" on the other end with some sticky on I, an antenna maybe? What does it do?

3. Another wire has a red male prong on one end and a little black dookickey on the other end which has very small holes, 3, on two sides, about 3/4" X 1/4".

4. An adapter, 2" long that has a male end with 4 prongs on one end and a yellow female
    End on the other.

5. On the monitor there is an open female connection that is marked HDMI and none of the cables/wires seem to fit it.?

6. It also comes with a remote control??

Obviously, I don't want to spend the m oney for someone to cvome in and set it up for me.

Anyone out there know what I have and what I must do to get it all working?

Thanks.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 06:11 PM

The various connections provide different ways to connect monitors and other peripherals to the PC.

Monitors requires electricity. There should be a cable that came with the monitor, with a small transformer attached inline. That plugs into the wall and the other end plugs into the monitor to provide power for the monitor.

The HDMI connection requires a separate HDMI cable. You need an HDMI connection on both the PC and on the monitor. Does your monitor ONLY have an HDMI connector? There are usually other connectors on the monitor (VGA and DVI, for example):

3.2 Foot, 1 Meter HDMI Audio/Video Cable

As I mentioned, both the computer and the monitor have to have an HDMI connector for this to work. It provides very high resolution signals for the monitor.

There may be a DVI (Direct Video or Visual Interface) connection on the monitor. Again, you need a DVI connection on both the PC's video card as well as on the monitor and the cable may be sold separately.

Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there's the "VGA connector". This is an analot connection that provides the poorest resolution for the monitor:

Video Graphics Array - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The PC will also have other connections on it. There may be a six-pin connection like this (not the round connector)

Serial port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's for connecting serial devices and you probably won't have any of those.

You may see a number of USB ports on your PC:

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, there will probably be PS2 connectors (green for mouse, purple for keyboard). Nowadays, many keyboards and mice come with USB connectors:

PS/2 connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There may be a parallel port on the PC.

Parallel port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are pretty obsolete. They used to be used for printers.

I think your best bet would be to take pictures of the PC, the peripherals and cables (let us see the pins -- the number of pins is significant in identifying some cables). Post them here (click the "Go Advanced" button) and let us look at them.
    ComputerHelpers Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Jun 8, 2009, 09:17 PM

HP is usually pretty good about sending connection diagrams with their stuff. I recommend you either look for that with materials, or go to HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers and more enter model number, and get the installation instructions. Then read them, and you might find what you seek, grasshopper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ybpr cables or dvi to hdmi? Or hdmI? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is best, and I would like to know why? I find the more expensive dvi to hdmi is not as high of a quality of 3dimension on my LCD TV from my HD cable box? The picture is clearer but the characters do not jump out the same as when I am using ybpr.

HDMI Set-up for Dummies? [ 1 Answers ]

My new equipment (coming) is: Sony KDR 46w150 TV (has HDMI jacks and 120 hz feature) - Harman Kardon AVR 256 receiver (has HDMI jacks and a card that takes the place of a cable box) - Panasonic Blu Ray player (don't recall model number but it's the 2500 model, not the more expensive one) and...

HDMI cables [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anybody can help me with a couple of questions please, I've just brought a philips aquos 32" hd tv/monitor which I'm using for my desktop but the highest resolution on it is 1360x768 which makes everything huge on the desktop, I was wondering if hdmi cables increase the...

HDMI vs Component [ 7 Answers ]

I just got my first HDTV. It's a small 19" for my office area. I upgrade to an HD cable box and connected it using an HDMI cable. The picture on the HD channels is visibly, but not significantly better than the non HD equivalent. Should I try hooking up component and see if that's better?

View more questions Search