Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magicman34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 05:29 PM
    How to avoid estimated taxes without penalty
    I will have several changes to my tax situation when filing next year including:

Status changing from Single to Married Filing Jointly
    Will be making individual contributions to an HSA
    Expect to buy a house to take advantage of $8,000 home buyer credit
    Worked first 6 months of year on 1099 with no withholdings
    I will convert to full time with W-2 in July and my wife also works full time on W-2

I did not file estimated taxes while on 1099. I understand that as long as I pay as much through withholdings this year as I owed in total taxes last year, then I will avoid penalty. My question is as follows:

How does this work when adding my wife's income? Also, how do self-employment taxes figure in to this equation?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 02:22 AM

For the purpose of estimated taxes, the total taxes paid last year is the total ot the tax shown on your separate returns.
    magicman34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    For the purpose of estimated taxes, the total taxes paid last year is the total ot the tax shown on your separate returns.
    That's not what I'm asking, let me be more clear. I am not filing estimated taxes, I want to know the minimum I need to have withheld from paychecks (mine and my wife's) to avoid penalty for not filing estimates.

I understand that as long as I have withheld this year as much as I paid last year that there will be no penalty. First of all, is this correct? Secondly, "as much as I paid last year", is this referring to only income taxes or Social Security and Medicare taxes as well since I will have to pay that on self employment income? What about the self employment taxes? If I have as much income taxes withheld this year as I paid last year, I will still owe a substantial amount in Social Security and Medicare (both halves) while I was self employed. Will that cause me to owe a penalty?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Look at the final amount owed on your 2007 tax return.

As long as you withhold at least that amount, you will NOT pay any under-payment penalty. This is one of the "safe harbors" allowed to tax payers, and applies as long as the difference between your 2007 and 2008 income is not more than $150,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Tenant avoid a penalty clause by forcing a pay or quit? [ 7 Answers ]

Can a tenant avoid a penalty clause by forcing the eviction process? I am a landlord for a condominium rental in Virginia. The current lease agreement contains a penalty clause if the tenant breaks the lease early, stating that the tenant is required to give 30 days notice, and pay a penalty...

Estimated taxes for F-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student, but for 2007, it will be my sixth year here, so I will be filing as a resident for tax purposes next year. I know this is thinking far ahead, but I am concerned about estimated taxes. I am working under OPT as contractor for 2 companies, and will probably earn a total...

Estimated Taxes for 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, How to pay estimated taxes (federal, social security tax, Medicare tax and State tax) for year 2007. I see estimated tax calculation details on IRS site and is it includes only federal tax only or social security and Medicare taxes also. How to pay estimated tax for state. Thanks in...

Avoid early payoff penalty? [ 1 Answers ]

I was brain storming and trying to figure out a way to avoid an early payoff penalty on my auto loan. I have a little over than $1,000 left on the balance of the loan, and if I payoff before November 2008 I incur a penalty. The actual maturity date is not until May 2009. I was thinking if...

Mortgage penalty - how to avoid [ 10 Answers ]

Guys Hi by the way, new to the forum. I have a question. We are currently with Wells Fargo and tied into the mortgage for 1 more year. With my wife being pregnant we need to move but WF want $5000 for us to break away early. IS there anyway of breaking this ? Are there any mortgage...

View more questions Search