Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bdwillie Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Blue screen
    I tried hooking up VCR to my Tv (with satilite) both ways directly with coax & then the 3 colored plugs. Either way I get a blue screen .I can pull up the menu manualy but not with a remote. What's not working right?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 06:15 AM

The blue screen simply indicates that there is no signal present. You haven't made the connection yet, or you haven't selected the proper input to display on the screen.

You say you can "pull up the menu manually but not with a remote". What does that mean? What menu? The TVs menu or something else? If you can get to the TVs menu, have you selected the proper input?

Another idea is to take pictures of the input connectors and post them (click the "Go Advanced" button) so we can look at what you've got.

Jun 9, 2009, 08:29 AM

The menu I'm talking about is for the VCR. I can pull up all the others(menus) with the remote.I just changed to basic coax cable & still get blue screen.. but cannot change channel to 3 on VCR.. I'm so upset .
    Thanks for what you wrote so far.
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 07:18 AM

It sounds like the remote control isn't set properly to control the VCR so it won't control it.

Jun 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    It sounds like the remote control isn't set properly to control the VCR so it won't control it.

Okay I'd agreed with you but there is only one thing the remote is new & I have programmed every set of codes it has given none work, But I certainly will go back & re-do them if you think that might be my problem..
    Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 12:53 PM

From what you've mentioned, it seems the only logical thing that's wrong. Make sure the remote control isn't out-of-date (i.e. can't be programmed for the VCR that you have). Since you can do this manually, it's either the remote or the receiving circuit is bad.

Jun 10, 2009, 04:34 PM

Perito... I just bought the remote, now if I can do this manually(which I can) except for one thing I cannot set the VCR on channel 3 .I get AV Front AVRear & then channel 60, still all blue screen.. the little button on back off VCR is on 3 but have tried it on both 3 & 4 with no success!I can't be this ignorant can I? Don't answer that LO

Jun 10, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Perito... the recorder records channel 5 , the remote is 23 days old ! Why would it control the DVDplayer & TV.. but not the VCR? Just asking
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 08:02 PM

If I understood exactly why it doesn't work, I might be able to tell you how to fix it. It appears that the remote does in fact, work -- at least somewhat. It works on the DVD player and the TV and apparently, it works partially on the VCR. That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't work correctly for the VCR. Either the remote isn't capable of talking to your VCR or the remote is defective or the VCR's receiving circuits are bad. Those are really the only possibilities. My gut tells me that the remote isn't sending the proper pulses to the VCR. Someone programmed it wrong or your VCR is an older model and the company made some upgrades. The remote control sends out the codes that would control an upgraded VCR, but not yours.

The fact that you can perform the operation manually means that the basic circuits in the VCR are OK. It doesn't prove that the connection from the IR receiver to those basic circuits is OK.

When you've exhausted all of the other possibilities, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the solution. It seems to me that you've exhausted the possibilities except for these.

Jun 11, 2009, 05:13 AM

Yes I must admit the VCR is old but it still seems to working working why replace yet. One more question before I let my blonde hair show(lol) Can I connect the VCR to the TV with a straight shot & still record (providing I get it to work) off the satilite dish? How do I send you a picture of the mess I have?
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 05:34 AM
    One more question before I let my blonde hair show(lol) Can I connect the VCR to the TV with a straight shot & still record (providing I get it to work) off the satellite dish? How do I send you a picture of the mess I have?
    You should be able to connect the VCR to the TV and record. You need an input signal from the satellite receiver to the VCR. This can be either a composite video (a yellow RCA-type connector along with a pair of audio connectors -- red and white), or you can bring in an RF (radio frequency) input. This is a modulated signal -- usually an "F-connector". The composite video with sound is probably the preferred connection.

Wikipedia link to "RCA connector"

Wikipedia link to "F connector"

You also need an output connection from the VCR to the TV. This can be either of the types mentioned for the input. Again, the composite video is probably what you would choose. On the TV, you'll have to select from the TV's inputs, the one that's connected to the VCR.

You can post a picture by clicking the "Go Advanced" button. Underneath the "Edit Post" area is an "Additional Options" area. Click the button labeled "Manage Attachments". A pop-up window will appear. Near the top of the form is an area labeled "Upload File from your Computer". Click on the "Browse" button and locate the picture on your PC. A .JPG file is preferred because of size constraints. Once you've locaetd the file, click the "Upload" button. The attachment will appear with your message.

Jun 12, 2009, 06:13 AM

Here is my mess
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:24 AM

I think you forgot to click "Upload"

Jun 14, 2009, 09:22 AM

I tried to upload... it just darn won't do it fully, I did just make a straight connection VCR to TV & right now it works good enough for me..
    Thank You your help was so much appreciated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blue screen! [ 25 Answers ]

Hey everyone my computer just froze and the blue screen came up. It was talking about begin dumping physical memory or something like that. I have managed to restart it after it taking a while but I am extremely concerned. My computer is now running very slow what is the problem?? Thanks.

Blue Screen [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Guys.. This is my first post in this site . And I hope to keep helping and getting help from the others. A lot of times when I start using my PC specially when I play some games like war craft frozen throne.. suddenly the system crash and blue screen appear... I don`t know why! My PC is...

Blue screen [ 5 Answers ]

I get a blue screen when trying to reload windows. The following messages apears: Ntfs.sys - address f8172781 base at f8123000, datestamp 41107eea I cannot re-load windows or get past the blue screen.

View more questions Search