Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eiatat123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 12:25 PM
    The Angry Customer
    How do you calm an angry customer on the telephone and have been put on hold?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2009, 01:08 PM

The customer put YOU on hold?

I think I'd be tempted to hang up on them.
    But honestly I would love to invent a thing that made these companies press 1 if you want to receive your payment this month, press 2 if you have a problem with my delinquent acct, press 3 if you want to take me to court.

I am so fed up with no being able to get hold of an actual person that I would never put them on hold.
    perdomo Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2009, 09:22 AM

Lower the tone in your voice - speak softly; customers will mirror your voice and will calm down. IF they start asking for a supervisor tell them that your are responsible for assitsing Customers and you can resolve their complaint; then just go into the question don't let them talk over you. Just start asking them questions, get them talking.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 09:26 AM

Can you give more details, if they put you on hold you can't say anything. What is their complaint and what business are you in?
    Sylvanta Sybil Posts: 74, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2009, 01:42 AM

From where I work we are allowed to reason with customers who are unreasonable (tech support) even if we get angry too, as long as we don't cross the line. If he asks for a supervisor, try to deescalate, if that doesn't work might as well give it to him, your supervisor will know anyway.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't. If you can't give him what he wants, look for an option closest to it.

This won't always work though. There really are "Impossible Customers" sometimes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I so angry? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, so where to begin... For six years my husband had been completing his degree while working a full time job. I have been at home raising our two young daughters. I was alone constantly with them and when my husband was home he was too tired to really be involved (ie... take them bike...

I'm angry and I hit my ex [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I wrote another blog explaining everything. I hit my ex and I want to know more steps I could take to ,for lack of a better word/words, get better. I am in counselling now for my anger, the underlying issues and impulse control and am thinking of saving for a boxing bag. Anyone know...

Really ANGRY! Should I be? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay for those who don't know my story my ex (nrly 4 year relationship, she 23 me 25)broke up with me 3 months ago (well techically 3 weeks since she said she does not want to get back together because at first she said it was a break). As we left it she said she was not sure how she felt but she...

What do I do with a angry cat? [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is mental he will be nice one minute and the next and grapples on to my arm and bites,then he will let go like he knows its bad and lick u,also he stalks one of my other cats and corners him and beats the crap out ofhim every night, I don't know what to do is there anything I can give him?

Angry [ 2 Answers ]

Dear who ever I will not tell you my name. For some reason I am always feeling :mad: with someone but I don't know who.

View more questions Search