Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkatnik Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Toyota 4runner 1992 won't start
    While driving on residential street, truck made "clicking" noise that seemed to come from the front of truck. Dove 1 mile on freeway and while exiting freeway the truck died. I slowed the best I could & shifted to coast to safe spot. I then tried to start the truck, with no luck. Had it towed. Checked for spark, got none. Replaced ignitor, then distributor & rotor. Still no luck! The Toyota is a 6 cylinder, 3 liter, automatic, 1992 4runner, & 2 wheel drive. Please anyone with help? Thank's in advance.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 11:44 AM

Check that the battery is fully charged and that the charging system is functional.
    You can crank the engine over but there's no spark?
    Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to the RUN position?
    Let us know what you find.
    mkatnik Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 12:28 PM
    When trying to start , the dash lights turn on, battery is charged. When trying to start it makes an effort but does not turn over. Also connected terminals TE1 & E1 and received 1 flash then pause then two flashes. (CODE 12) Do we need to check re; fuel pump prime if we have no spark?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mkatnik View Post
    When trying to start , the dash lights turn on, battery is charged. When trying to start it makes an effort but does not turn over. Also connected terminals TE1 & E1 and recieved 1 flash then pause then two flashes. (CODE 12) Do we need to check re; fuel pump prime if we have no spark?
    Since it's "making an effort," you need to see why it won't turn over. If you can find that problem, you may get it to run.
    Check the battery cables at both ends. Look for loose and/or corroded cable ends. Even if the engine doesn't start, it should still crank and spin normally.

After that, I wonder where did you get the replacement parts that you've installed... Did they come from another vehicle that was still drivable?

Once you've got the engine to spin over properly, you can check for spark. You should have spark before you have fuel. The other way around could be scary...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Toyota carina Stalled and won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Toyota Carina. Some day it couldn't start. I removed the relays and put them back and voilą! It started. A couple of months later, it started jerking. This would however not happen when I step on it a lot. Six months later, the Engine just stopped while I was driving. I called...

1992 Toyota Camry blows fuse [ 1 Answers ]

My 1992 Toyota Camry blows fuse # to the 10amp one for the guages, tach, heater etc. After replacing the fuse everything works fine. I then press the brake and push the button on the center console shifter Auto tranny to put in gear and the fuse blows right away heater stops etc. Any ideas??

1992 Toyota Camry wagon cutting out while stopping [ 4 Answers ]

1992 Toyota Camry wagon cutting out while driving. The check engine light comes on and then it cuts out. It will start back up as if it never cut out. Usually when it gets under the 1rpm(s) it shuts off--it will vibrate like it is shutting off and then it shuts off. I took it to a mechanic...

97 4Runner Won't Start [ 3 Answers ]

I drove my 97 Toyota 4Runner all day between several locations, starting and stopping it. I got home and it was parked in the garage for 2 hours. I went back out to leave... tried to start it and nothing. No noise... no sound. Lights come on and battery is charged. What is wrong?:D

Changing taillight bulb in 1992 toyota camry [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the taillight bulb in my 1992 toyota camry?

View more questions Search