Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaglesfan08505 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Troy Built Lawnmower won't keep running
    Hello All,
    I am new to this site and I hope that someone can help resolve my problem. I own a Troy Built self propelled lawnmower. One day while I was using it, the motor(briggs and stratton) shut off with no warning. Now, when I start it... it runs until the gas runs out from the prime which I provide. I am able to keep it running if I continue to press the primer bulb... manually pumping in fuel. Obviously, I can't cut the grass like this... Any Ideas on how to fix this? Air filter is clean. Thanks for any advice you are to provide me.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jun 8, 2009, 08:40 AM
    There could be trash in the gas tank. It would still prime, but the gas flow to the engine would be restricted. Try removing the tank and cleaning it and the filter. While you're at it clean the carburetor.

I'm not an engine guy, but I have experienced that same problem with a B&S lawnmower engine.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 09:00 AM

Drain the tank but you do not have to actually remove the tank to do this. You may have debris or water in your gas, whatever your carb is now clogged. Refill with fresh fuel not from the same storgar tank you most recently used. Open the carb bowl and raise and lower the float, dose fuel flow and shut off when you do this?

Jun 9, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Drain the tank but you do not have to actually remove the tank to do this. You may have debris or water in your gas, whatever your carb is now clogged. Refill with fresh fuel not from the same storgar tank you most recently used. Open the carb bowl and raise and lower the float, dose fuel flow and shut off when you do this??
    Thank you... it worked and now my son is upset because he has to cut the grass again! Haa Thanks again

Jun 9, 2009, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by walt17 View Post
    There could be trash in the gas tank. It would still prime, but the gas flow to the engine would be restricted. Try removing the tank and cleaning it and the filter. While you're at it clean the carburetor.

I'm not an engine guy, but I have experienced that same problem with a B&S lawnmower engine.
    Thanks for the advice! It worked and I am up and running again. Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troy built leaking gas into oil [ 2 Answers ]

Troy built riding mower leaks all the gas fron tank into oil while the mower is not being used

Troy built issues [ 1 Answers ]

I have a troy built riding lawn mower and I got it out for the first time this season. Ran fine, no problems. Someone decided it needed an oil change so that was done. After that and after it ran for a bit, it stopped moving forward and backward. More oil was added, then smoked to death (naturally...

Troy Built Horse [ 1 Answers ]

Blade engage goes off after 3or4 seconds. I must turn off and start again, 3or4 seconds goes off again.

View more questions Search