Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Jun 8, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Disposal May Need To Be Disposed Of.
    Hi All!

We are having problems -- we think -- with our kitchen sink disposal. When we try to use it it violently shakes the entire sink and makes a hideous loud noise.

1. Could anyone of you please help us find out what may be the problem with it???

2. Can it be fixed?

3. Do we need a new one?

4. Can laymen such as ourselves fix the problem?

Thanks for your time!

God Bless,

Ginger Rogers :D
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 08:16 AM

Before you buy a new disposal you should kill the power to the circuit, verify it is dead and then look down inside with a small flashlight. There is a plate at the bottom with several cutters that almost touch the sides of the drum area. See if there is any object stuck on a cutter or a cutter that is retracted. It is very important from a safety standpoint to make 100% sure the power is off when working on a disposal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord disposed of my belongings prior to the 14 day window I had to retrieve them. [ 1 Answers ]

On the final day we had to vacate, I waited to speak to the sheriff as I did not have time to remove all of my belongings from the garage before the given time. He handed me a paper which stated that the Landlord would "store" my things for 14 days, during which time I could make arrangements to...

Garbage disposal [ 8 Answers ]

I want to put a garbage disposal in my restaurant but I am not sure if it will work with my sink. I have a standard commercial sink with about a 1 1/2" drain. Can anyone tell me what is involved if anything to complete this project?

Badger disposal [ 2 Answers ]

Disposal stopped working. Is there a tool to insert in the bottom to clear it out and then reset?

Sewage disposal [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a hunting lease with an outhouse. We want to put in some type of septic tank that will tank care of the waste and odor. We don't have running water, but we are going to add a shower (and water tank) so we will have the capability to add some water with this in order to get it to flush. ...

View more questions Search