Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    countrychick605 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Sewer/Amonia Odor in bathroom
    We have a sewer/amonia odor and it appears to be coming up from our drains... It can be very strong at times. What can we do to get rid of this problem.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 07:00 AM

Hi CC

Is this happening at all drains?

Draw a glass of water and smell it. This will eleminate odor coming from water.

Chuck
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Jun 8, 2009, 09:53 AM
    You need to provide more descriptions of your situation before likely answers are possible. Are you on septic system or city sewers? Did this start only recently, happens sometimes, when does it happen (morning, night, high water uses)? Is it from all drains or just one like shower, sink, floor. etc. You say ammonia smell, but typical "sewer gas" (which is common in all sewer systems) is mixture of methane and hydrogen sulfide, but could be ammonia if dead animal is somewhere in your sewer system (NOT a typical occurrence). Just as an example, I worked in trailer office once and for many months we occasionally smelled a true "skunk" odor. It was very strong in different areas at different times (intermittent). So finally called plumber and found it was all caused by a single shower drain that was seldom (never?) used. So cure was simply to pour water into that "unused" drain every month or more to keep the "gas trap" below the shower drain functioning to prevent sewer gasses from coming up through the drain. Hope you provide more information so some good causes and solutions can be suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas Odor [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a small house. I immediately noticed a sewer gas odor. The landlord called a plumber. He noted that the only vent pipe coming out of the roof was a one and a quarter inch located behind the toilet. He installed a four inch vent pipe into the sewer line just as it was coming out...

Sewer odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

For the second year in a row as the weather gets cold, a sewer odor eminates from our first-floor bathroom that sits on a slab. Please help us find out what the problem is. Last year we had a plumber replace the seal. That didn't help.

Sewer odor in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sewer odor that suddenly started in our bathroom. At least I think it's a sewer smell (and not a dead animal). The odor seems to be coming from the toilet. The toilet bowl appears firm and secure, but the wax ring has not been replaced in many years. I know how to replace the ring but...

Sewer odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's bathroom has a sewer odor or some kind of bad odor if not used for a few days. She was able to stop it by putting a towel over the bathtub drain when she left the house. I have put a flat rubber stopper over the drain but it isn't stopping it. Now, it appears after someone opens a...

Sewer Odor in Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Last week I noticed our toilet had bubbles coming up it for a minute or so... I don't remember if the washing machine was running or not, it seemed strange, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. Now this week, there is a sewer smell in our bathroom, and I swear I can smell it in the room next...

View more questions Search