Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shessneaky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Holding down the flusher?
    We have to hold down the handle on the toilet to get it to flush all the way and sometimes there are still things left at the bottom. Any idea on what we can do to make it flush without holding the handle, and what can I do about the leftovers? Help please.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2006, 10:13 AM
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl.

Now let's look at the flapper: With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit until I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. You will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken nut holding trap... [ 3 Answers ]

OK - I have attached pictures to this because I have no idea of the terms I am about to throw around, and if any of them are correct. We recently purchased an older victorian, and the downstairs bath does not look like it has been renovated in the last 15 to 20 years. It is in decent shape,...

401k loan won't rollover left holding the bag! [ 1 Answers ]

My company recently merged with another and now I have two different 401k plans. The company is planning on merging the plans for the employees early 07. I would like to take a loan out of the plan I have had established the longest but will not have paid it back completely by the time the plans...

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

Holding on... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be a long one... so hold on here and bear with me please... I have only loved one person in my short life-span (20, f), I had a 3 month relationship with him after knowing him for 2.5 yrs, it was long-distance. We ended it on good terms, he just couldn't take not being...

Holding new kittens [ 3 Answers ]

How long after kittens are born can they be touched or held ? I was told that if they were touched too soon the mother would push them away... true or not?

View more questions Search