Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dahlialine Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 12:31 AM
    Rear-ended a car that cut of me off. Insurance? Who's at fault?
    I was stopped at a red light in the outermost lane with two other cars in front of me, and when we started moving a car from the middle lane made a lane change and then had to brake to avoid the car that was originally in front of me. He didn't turn on this signal until halfway into the lane change. I started braking as soon as I saw him moving towards my lane but there wasn't enough time or distance to stop my car.

Am I at fault because it was a rear-ending accident, or does it make a difference that he made an unsafe lane change? I had no witnesses and he had another friend in the car.
    What will happen to my insurance? How will they deal with this?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 07:32 AM

Did you call your respective insurance companies? An accident investigator will need to look at both cars as they are trained to be able to determine fault based on the damages. A rear-end accident is not always 100% of the time the fault of the 2nd driver. This sounds like you may not be at fault but an accident investigator can say for sure. Several factors could cause the situation to change (ie. Angle of impact).

As for the impact on your insurance, that depends on what state you're in and the insurance laws there. Your prior driving history will be considered when it comes to affecting the premium.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rear ended [ 4 Answers ]

We where rear ended and the guy lied to his insurance about hitting us and we have not gone to the dr for fear of being left with the bills will we eventually get paid without any doctor bills only if we got soft tissue damage

Rear-ended by uninsured motorist. [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I was recently involved in an auto accident and got rear ended recently by a person who agreed on his fault. No police complaint was made. I collected his insurance info and started a claim. However, when my insurance arbiter contacted his insurance company, they started an internal enquiry...

Rear Ended Someone [ 19 Answers ]

Okay so here is the story: I rearended someone. It was my fault, I was texting. We both pulled over and decided it was too minor to exchange insurance information. I had a dented license plate, she had nothing, I mean nothing. Can she later on change her mind, and tell her insurance...

Rear ended but the other insurance says they may not have to pay. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. We were rear ended a week ago. The other driver was cited and found at fault. When we contacted her insurance to begin to get our van fixed they said she might not be insured because the vehicle she hit us in was a new purchase and not on her policy. They said they cannot get a...

View more questions Search