Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pare_john Posts: 97, Reputation: 3

Jun 7, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Laying ceramic tile on wood
    I am planning on laying tile over bare wood in my bathroom. I wanted to know if there is any special thinset that I need to use when applying tile directly onto wood.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jun 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Although installing ceramic tiles direct over plywood floors isn't a very good idea or method, it can work... but it is never recommended for bathrooms. Only dry floors.

You should install a tile backer board or a membrane such as Ditra. Start with how the framing in built and with what, be specific. Joists type and size, spacing, unsupported span, species and grade of the joists if possible. The type, thickness and number of layers that makes the subfloor.

Jaz

Jun 7, 2009, 07:49 PM

I was not referring to the floor. I am laying the ditra for the floor before applying the tile.

I am referring to a half wall beside the vanity that is constructed with 2 x 4's. The top and front are bare 2 x 4 and I wanted to lay the tile directly on it instead of first putting gyp

Jun 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Heck John, all I have is the info you supplied. I haven't perfected internet mind reading yet. ;)

And, NO you can not install tile direct on to lumber. You need either wallboard, if it's a dry area, or you can use tile backer on either dry or damp walls.

Jaz

Jun 8, 2009, 03:12 AM

What if I were to apply a thin coat of plaster to the wood and then lay my tile ontop of that?

Is there something else I can coat the wood with so I would be able to lie the tile directly onto it without putting gyp or backer board?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pare_john View Post
    What if i were to apply a thin coat of plaster to the wood and then lay my tile ontop of that?

Is there something else i can coat the wood with so I would be able to lie the tile directly onto it without putting gyp or backer board?
    What is ''wood''? 2x4 studs or plywood or other?

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 08:10 AM

The basic answer is NO. Tell us more details so we can help you better.

Jun 8, 2009, 02:44 PM

2x4 studs. The reason I do not want to put backer board or gyp is for space savings as these areas jet out into the middle of the room.

The one surface to be tiled is 3 feet high by 4" wide/verticle so it will be a small section of tile.

The other surface is 7 1/2 feet high by 8" wide.
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 04:03 PM

The total area lost because of s/r or wonderboard will be 1''. If area is so small 1'' makes a difference, then area is to small for that wall.

U can not install tile directly onto 2x4's

Chuck

Jun 8, 2009, 04:41 PM

So there is no product that can be applied to the bare wood that can allow me to tile directly onto wood. I know in the old days tile used to be applied directly onto plywood so I don't see why I can not apply the tile directly yo lumber

Jun 8, 2009, 04:53 PM

Ok guys I found a suitable answer on what I am doing. Thanks for your help though
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 08:46 PM

Plywood is very stable and dimensional lumber is not, it swells and moves too much for thinset and grout.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 03:55 AM

Lrt us in on your secret

Chuck
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jun 9, 2009, 06:56 AM
    Why do I have the feeling that he walked into a big box type place and they sold him a bucket of liquid AFM? Not going to work once the framing bows or twists.

Maybe an epoxy, like latapoxy 210, followed by spectralock grout? If so, your tile will never lose it's bond, however, once the framing undergoes it's expected seasonal movement, the bond will be so strong to the tile that the tile will crack whereas with a thinset application, the thinset and grout would fail.

From the description, it's just a knee wall and a partition wall. Why can't you just cut back the framing? Doesn't make sense to me. It's just going to bite you in the arse. I'd love to know the solution to successful tile over dimensional lumber as well. WHat a trade secrete to have. :rolleyes:

Jun 9, 2009, 02:21 PM

Funny when ego pop.

I guess my wording was deceiving. By solution I meant that I was going to go with what you all suggested and just put some backer board on the exposed lumber and then put my tile.

Now for my partition wall I wanted to lay a solid piece of granite on the top of it. Can I leave that part bare and use a construction adhesive or do I have to follow the same principal as the tile and use backer board.

Thanks for all you help
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 02:56 PM

Having nailed top plate every 16'', u shoud be OK to mount granite on it.

Chuck

Jun 21, 2009, 06:43 PM

I am laying the Ditra system on the floor using a non modified thin set with a 3/16 V-Notched trwel. The tile will be laid also using non modified thin set. My question is what size trowel should I use for laying the tile? The tile is a 13 x 13 Porcelain tile.

Thank you,

Jun 21, 2009, 07:03 PM
    John,

You will use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 trowel for your 13" porcelain tiles. A good quality unmodified thinset is what Schluter recommends irrespective of what it says on the bag and what anyone may tell you.

I don't think you ever mentioned what type of floor you have. Makes a big difference. If it's a slab, you can also use unmod, but not if it's plywood. If it is wood, we need to know all the details and also how the framing is built and with what, be specific.

Jaz

Jun 21, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
    John,

You will use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 trowel for your 13" porcelain tiles. A good quality unmodified thinset is what Schluter recommends irrespective of what it says on the bag and what anyone may tell you.

I don't think you ever mentioned what type of floor you have. Makes a big difference. If it's a slab, you can also use unmod, but not if it's plywood. If it is wood, we need to know all the details and also how the framing is built and with what, be specific.

Jaz
    My floor is 5/8 plywood. Lated on top of a 2x4 framing laid on its sides with a spacing of 12 OC. So there is only a 8" gap between 2x4's. The plywood is glued and screwed.

Schluter says that I have to use an unmodified thinset regardless of subfloor.

I am using premiumplus unmodified thinset for the laying of the Ditra.

Jun 21, 2009, 07:42 PM

Also the 2x4 framing is laid on concrete, and is screwed into the concrete ever 12" with 3 1/2" tapcons

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't get paper up from old vinyl floor. Laying ceramic tile on kitchen floor [ 5 Answers ]

I looked for a similar question on this site before asking and all I could find is a question about ripping up vinyl flooring to lay hard wood flooring down... So I will ask my question, I just got done ripping up the vinyl from my kitchen floor and plan to lay ceramic tile down tomorrow, I too...

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Laying ceramic tile over exsisting concrete floor [ 4 Answers ]

I have an exsisting bathroom floor drain in a shower area, it has the slope and ready to go for tile only. Is there any type of waterproof membrane available without using a mudset underlay. I don't want to have to build up the exsisting drain, I'm not sure that the exsisting is treaded to add to...

Laying down Dura Ceramic [ 1 Answers ]

We are currently in the process of a remodel.. My question is, we are planning on laying down DuraCeramic over a plywood subfloor. Currently the floor has 1/2 linoleum and 1/2 plywood subfloor with glue and backing from glued down carpet.. How do we prep the floor, do we need to tear out the...

Ceramic tile - proper laying technique [ 2 Answers ]

I have 13x13 ceramic tiles to install in my kitchen over plywood subfloor. What is the most appropriate way to install? I've been told to use various techniques: cement mortar, thinset adhesive, cement backer board, tiles can be laid right over vinyl flooring!! ), etc. We are very handy and did...

View more questions Search