Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barmey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 05:58 AM
    Can a fertilzer spike damage a small spruce tree?
    I replanted a small spruce in the front garden of the house. Decoritive type, will not grow higher then 4-6ft. After placing it in the garden I put a fertilizer spike about a foot away from the root. It is know turning brown almost have the tree. Could it have been the spike? This exact step happened to me once before the same way when I live in a previous place. Can I get it to recover? Its just starting to happen its been two weeks since I planted it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 07:39 AM

I never have a problem with young trees when I use lots of water. Water in the hole I dig and lots of water after filling in the dirt around the tree. It could be shock. I never use fertilizer spikes.

Tick
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 08:23 AM

I agree, it is likely transplant shock and the spike just made it worse.

Jun 12, 2009, 05:51 AM

But can I get it to recover?

Jun 12, 2009, 05:52 AM
    And I made a mistake its not spuce it is an evergreen
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 05:56 AM

Barmey, I doubt it will recover, in spite of their endurance when mature, once they are damaged they don't come back that easily. Leave it in and see what happens.

Tick
    treeguy1225 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2009, 06:58 PM
    A spruce is a type of evergreen first off... secondly a fertilizer spike will not add to transplant shock symptoms... I do agree about the shock and it should be monitored to see how it does

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spruce tree turn brown [ 1 Answers ]

I plant these tree last fall and now they are start to turn browm

Tree damage [ 1 Answers ]

There is a Linden Tree on my block that has a condition, whereby the bark has been stripped in a patch or two, small insects can be seen underneath the bark and one patch has has a small cut into the trunk. It does not appear to be Asian Beetle, but I am not an expert. Does anyone know? I would...

Maple Tree Roots causing damage [ 1 Answers ]

There are two maple trees about 35 feet from the front of my house. Their roots spread all the way to the front of my house and are in my flower beds, stealing water and choking the flowers. The beds extend about 3 feet from the house. In addition the roots may be damaging and causing leaks in...

Prunning a Blue Spruce tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a miniature Blue Spruce which has been in place for some 15 years and is about 15feet high. I want to "prune" some of the lower branches in order to give more sunlight below the tree. Will it hurt the tree to do this? I don't want to do any damage to it and was looking for advice.

View more questions Search