Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misfit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 03:40 AM
    New Updates
    Sometimes when I log on to my computer,a window will pop up that says,"new updates are ready to be installed to your computer". My question is should I always install these new updates,and how can I tell when to install or not to install.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 03:57 AM
    Yes, always install them. If you click on the icon it should bring up a window that has an "Install Updates Now" button (or some similar text).
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 04:15 AM
    The message is most likely the result of the Windows Automatic Update feature (configurable via Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates) although other software products often check for updates too. Microsoft releases security patches for known vulnerabilities in Windows and other Microsoft products the second Tuesday of each month. Generally I consider it a good idea to install these updates as they help keep your computer safe from being taken over by malware or other people who produce exploits for these vulnerabilities. However, there is a darkside to Automatic Updates as well. Microsoft in the past has used this distribution method to serve their own marketing interests to push out software other than patches. Internet Explorer, Windows Genuine Advantage, and other non-security items have been forced out to subscribers often before they were well tested and have caused numerous headaches, issues, and feature breakage for enterprise users over the years. I encourage you to review what is to be installed by selecting a custom installation and deselecting any updates you don't desire. Blindly installing everything Automatic Updates pulls from Microsoft will eventually cause some sort of functional issue with your computer, it's only a matter of time. More information on each update can be found online through the links provided in the list of updates.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Blindly installing everything Automatic Updates pulls from Microsoft will eventually cause some sort of functional issue with your computer, it's only a matter of time.
    Ah man, that ain't right. *Some* of the recommended updates may be drivers that aren't better than the manufacturers but to say that "it's only a matter of time" until they "cause some sort of functional issue with your computer" isn't correct for the home user. Corporate networks pretty always test updates in a sandbox before they deploy from their own server; home users rarely have stuff like custom ActiveX applets and the like.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:14 AM

But what if the installed Windows is a pirated copy? I think that then, the problems will arise, right NK?
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    But what if the installed Windows is a pirated copy? I think that then, the problems will arise, right NK?
    If it's a pirated copy then many problems with Windows Update will arise... but we don't support issues with pirated copies here so it's a moot point.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:32 AM

I was just asking... that is very common in my country, lol. Mind you, I myself had a pirated copy of windows... until I moved to Linux. The windows xp had so much problems!
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:38 AM
    I played with a pirated copy for a while but it wasn't worth the hassle. I now dual-boot Vista and Ubuntu. :)
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:43 AM

LOL. I hear vista is very good... I'm using Ubuntu, heron.

PS - sorry for spoiling the thread... :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP updates [ 2 Answers ]

My comp. will not load update kb898461, or WMP 11. Any ideas?

Updates [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: I woke up to an icon that told me I needed to update something to do with Logiteck. K. That could be my mouse or my cam, or maybe even something else. So, I did it. How would I even determine IF the update request came from Logiteck? Could it be a trojan horse? Could it be from...

Windows updates [ 1 Answers ]

I just did a windows repair on my computer. Now it won't let me do any updates. It says there are 80 updates, but it fails to let me get them.

Updates [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update KB826939 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 8 security updates with this same number KB826939.They were all...

View more questions Search