Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ABBAS HARUNA Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 03:17 AM
    Electric energy
    How can we tap the energy in lighting stroke for a meaningful purpose.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 03:28 AM

So far, lightning has not been used for power generation. Lightning does fix nitrogen which falls on the earth thus fertilizing the fields.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 04:08 AM

I googled and found that site:

Halfbakery: Lightning power generator

There are some arguments, namely;

Quote Originally Posted by Ijanz
    There are a world of problems here. Typical lightning strike is 100,000,000 volts at 100,000 amps for a few milliSeconds or so. To transfer that energy into movement it usually must be converted to magnetism. This involves channeling the strike through coils that will convert this energy into magnetic energy, these coils must be robust enough to survive the sever mechanical impulse and extreme strain on the insulation . The inertia of turning a flywheel over such a short duration will be huge.

This is a job for capacitors, big munty capacitors.
    And

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp
    You might want to reconsider using metal, like some articles tell you to do. The true power can be accessed more easily. If a bassin of water would be charged by lightning, the electricity could elektrolyse it. If you were to light a spark it would return back to water only giving an explosion of power, which could drive a generator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Is it bad energy around me? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been an emotional person, and lately I became a REALLY angry person! I never was this way, it's actually making my relationship fall apart! I've been told that it can be that there's a ghost in my house that is causing me to feel the way I do.. how can I really know what to do?

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

View more questions Search