Ask
    ABBAS HARUNA Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 03:13 AM
    Center of gravity
    How does center of gravity affect the motion of a vehicle
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 03:29 AM

The center of gravity has little affect on the motion of the vehicle, per se. If you turned a corner, the center of gravity would have an effect on how much the vehicle swayed. Other effects on the handling of the vehicle might be seen also.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 07:58 AM

Ever notice how low to the ground a race car is? Two reasons for this: (1) better aerodynamics, meaning lower wind resistance and improved ground effects (which are not releveant to the question here) and (2) lower center of gravity (CG). Keeping the CG low improves handling - less sway as Perito says - largely by reducing weight transfer to the outer tires during cornering, and conversely reducing the lightening of the load on the inside tires, and also by reducing fore and aft weight transfer during acceleration and braking, respectively. Keeping weight transfer to a minimum while cornering is important as it allows the car to turn more sharply - pull more g's - before the tires exceed their limit of adhesion to the road surface and you start to slide. Hence a car with low CG can accelerate harder through the corners than a car with a high CG. There is also the safety issue - try taking a turn too fast in a high CG vehicle like an SUV and you can flip it - do the same in a low CG design like a sports car and you are more likely to slide it, unless you hit a curb, then all bets are off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics-solving center of gravity problems [ 10 Answers ]

I am doing extra work in my college physics course to try to get in a groove with parallel forces and center of gravity problems. I am stuck. I have navigated my online membership course, RapidMastery for Physics, and I'm still stuck. Any helpful explanations would be appreciated. The problem is...

Gravity [ 5 Answers ]

If 2 objects of different weight are thrown from equal height , which will reach the earth first, the heavier object or the lighter object, or both will reach at same time. :)

Toilet 9" center on slab going to 12" center - HOW [ 4 Answers ]

I took out an American Standard toilet with a 9 inch from the wall center. I want to install A 12 inch from the wall Toto water saving toilet. I am working on a slab (no basement). Is there an adaptor I can use? If so do I have to raise the toilet to make room for the adapter? OR is there...

Center of Gravity [ 4 Answers ]

A man is doing push-ups. He has a mass of 68 kg and his center of gravity is located at a horizontal distance of 0.70 m from his palms and 1.00 m from his feet. Find the forces exerted by the floor on his palms and feet.

View more questions Search