Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Regan5458 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 06:09 PM
    How to tame a goat
    I just got 2 goats not dairy goats and one is a female named salt she is 1 years old and the other one is Pepper he's the male and he is 2 years old. I had them for awhile and they run away from me. I try sitting in the stall reading a book. Putting food beside me but they are too scared. I got a collar on Pepper but I can't get it off or put a leash on him. Salt stays in a corner every time I come in there. What do I do!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 06:43 PM

Can they be contained in a smaller area where you can feed them a treat of some type, and pet them.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jun 6, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Regan5458 View Post
    I just got 2 goats not dairy goats and one is a female named salt she is 1 years old and the other one is Pepper he's the male and he is 2 years old. I had them for awhile and they run away from me. I try sitting in the the stall reading a book. Putting food beside me but they are too scared. I got a collar on Pepper but i can't get it off or put a leash on him. Salt stays in a corner everytime I come in there. What do I do!
    Hi Regan,

You need to stop thinking about collars and leashes for a while. You can't tame a scared animal by forcibly restraining it with collars and leashes. You tame it by being quiet and gentle and bringing food and talking gently. After a while they will learn that you bring food which makes you a "good person" in their world. Over time they will let you come closer, and when you can touch them make a gentle touch (not near the face) and then move away. This is *very* important, you must move away after touching. This is called "approach/retreat" and by retreating you help them understand that your presence isn't threatening to their survival (that you won't touch then grab then eat them). As they become accustomed to a brief touch then you can increase the amount of time you touch them, and start rubbing, finding the itchy spots.

Once they learn that you can scratch itchy spots, you will quickly find them coming up to you to be scratched. Then you can start putting collars on (and taking them off) and accustoming them to the feel of a leash etc.

You can also continue to take a book and sit for a while when you feed them. If you do this every day they will lose their fear and approach you. Again, move quietly and slowly when they approach you. When you can, stroke gently and briefly (not on the face) then take your hand away.

Avoid touching on the face until they accept your touch on the body. Once they are comfortable with touching on the body, you can move your hand forward. Most goats love being scratched around the horns or horn nubs, but you need to work up to this because your hand near their eyes or ears can be very frightening.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 06:55 PM

Good idea Chuck.

I don't know anything about goats, not at all.

I would think they'd be similar to other animals when training. Time, patience, a calm hand, a soft voice and treats. :)

I wish I knew more. Maybe someone else will come along that has some experience with goats.

Check back often.

If you ever get a rabbit, I'm your girl. ;)
    Regan5457 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Hi I am Regan My username got messed up. I love the answer you gave me. I think that your answer is a nice answer and I will use it. Thank you for telling me what to do about Salt and Pepper!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you tame a hamster? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a panda hamster names bamboo She's 8 weeks old and I've had her a little over a week, not very long I know She bites a lot and I want to know if there's a way to tame a hamster so they don't bite as much Because I don't like picking her up anymore because I'm afraid she'll bite me and...

Best way to tame goats [ 9 Answers ]

We recently bought a Boer cross momma and her two babies. The kids are approximately 8 weeks old. I have two daughters who want nothing more than to love on them and play with them but the kids keep taking off! We bring treats and momma is fine but babies still pretty skittish. Any ideas?

How do I tame my lovebird? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently brought two lovebirds and they are very cute and fly around when I release them from the cage . And they return to the cage by themselves . But when ever I approach them she back off . So how du I tame them ?

How do I tame my goat? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a 5 month old pygmy goat buck and I want to know what is the best way to tame him so that he is friendly around people

View more questions Search