Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhbell Posts: 47, Reputation: -1

Jun 6, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Digital TV antenna
    Hi.
    We cancelled our satillite because we could no longer afford payments. We got converter boxes for the change this weekend, but we have a lot of picture break-up just using our rabbit ears.

Would anyone have a suggestion on how to get better picture?
    I have been looking around for an outdoor antenna that I could hook up to the coax cable tha was installed for satillite, that way all rooms should get the use of one antenna, but there are so many on the market and so expensive I do not know which I should go with.

Or could I build one?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks roger
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 03:52 PM

Come the 12th, the digital signals should come in better than the analog signals, although if the signal is too weak, you'll get a lot of annoying pixelation. It's a function of the technology. If it's still not good enough, it's all about the antenna. You can build your own antennas.

Let me google that for you - build your own antenna hdtv
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 07:03 AM

If purchasing 1, I would get a UHF/VHF Combination Antenna, With a Preamp and power supply(a pair).
    If all cables originat from dish, then,
    Channel Master makes(used to make?) an AC Passive splitter. Normally nothing goes between the praamp and power supply. In this case you could install an AC passive splitter to allow voltage to preamp, and send amplified signal bact to TV where power supply is located. The other output of the passive splitter goes to a multiple output splitter(same as the number of remaining sets).
    rhbell Posts: 47, Reputation: -1

Jun 7, 2009, 02:32 PM

Perito thank you for your advise, I had tried looking on line for just such directions but could not find. Built one today worked well cleared some channels up. Thanks for your help.

Stratmando
    Was following what you said first few sentences then you lost me, is what you said mean power would travel both ways through coax by using ac passive splitter, or would I require a power source near the antenna?
    I do have the ability to place an outlet close enough to the antenna to provide ac current if that would make an antenna selection different or easier.
    What would you suggest?
    Also any ideas on where I might find an antenna cheap? Texas

Again thanks to both for your help roger
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 02:36 PM
    I had tried looking on line for just such directions but could not find. Built one today worked well cleared some channels up. Thanks for your help.
    Click on the link in my message, above (Let me Google that for you - build your own antenna hdtv).
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2009, 05:56 PM

This link will tell you if you only need the UHF kit to build, or a VHF as well:
    Best HDTV Antenna
    Scroll down to your State.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2009, 07:51 PM

Exactly what I'm putting up 8200 & 7777

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a new antenna [ 3 Answers ]

I have just purchased a new digital TV. I do not have cable.. Do I need to replace the antenna that I have on a tower outside of my home with a different kind?? Thank for any info...

Antenna for Digital Signal [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting rid of cable and will be using a digital conversion box. I am looking for advice for the best outdoor antenna to buy and where to buy it. I also need advice on how to position the antenna for strongest signal. Thank you.

Analog TV antenna for digital Reception? [ 1 Answers ]

Will our existing analog TV antenna work for the new digital broadcasts or should I get rid of it?

Changing from non digital thermostat to digital [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old non digital Honeywell T87F thermostat, gas burner with baseboard water heat. Can I change to a new digital Honewywell RTH230B and how? Thank you

Antenna [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for solution to calculate the effect of wind torque on antenna surface above telecommunication radio tower.Can anyone help me? Thanks.

View more questions Search