Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SusieQ61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Daschund skin condition
    My daschund is 6 years old and seems to get skin allergies every summer. We've had her on steroids over the summer and just started her on a supplement to make her skin not itch. It seems now that she is getting worse. She rolls on her back to itch her back and is now chewing the area around her tail and is losing hair as a result. I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of any remedies to stop the itching. She's miserable and I don't want to keep giving her steroids.
    Thank you!
    Sandra
    TrioKIT Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Nov 5, 2006, 08:27 PM
    I think staying away from antibitoic type things could be helpful especially if your doggy has to be taking steroids. Because herbal, kind of natural (ish) things are healthier and can sometimes have even better results. Here is a link if you'd like to look into this. I'm no vet, (hence checking with your vet before giving anything unprescribed is a good idea) but I hope this helps. :)

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ef/219020.aspx

Good luck, I hope it gets better soon!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 08:44 PM
    I would go with your local vet over anybody here. She is getting most of her calories from a comercial dog chow?
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Nov 6, 2006, 12:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQ61
    My daschund is 6 years old and seems to get skin allergies every summer. We've had her on steroids over the summer and just started her on a supplement to make her skin not itch. It seems now that she is getting worse. She rolls on her back to itch her back and is now chewing the area around her tail and is losing hair as a result. I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of any remedies to stop the itching. She's miserable and I don't want to keep giving her steroids.
    Thank you!
    Sandra
    I suggest that you take her back to your vet and ask for alternatives to the steroids. I agree with labman on the herbal remedies. I would never suggest or recommend any herbal/holistic approach or home remedy without first consulting your vet. If one vet isn't able to help her, get a second opinion. As you already know, it's not good to give steroids, especially for long periods.

Have they done any allergy tests on her?
    You're certain it isn't fleas giving her fits?
    What sort of food does she eat?

One of my dogs gets a skin allergy almost every year starting as soon as July and ending as late as October. My vet has called it (jokingly) 'State Fair Disease', as it seems to happen right around the time of the State Fair. I have been told that it is an allergy to grasses. He gets only one injection of synthetic steroid and sometimes an antibiotic if it's particularly bad.
    TrioKIT Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Nov 6, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tre_cani
    I suggest that you take her back to your vet and ask for alternatives to the steroids. I agree with labman on the herbal remedies. I would never suggest or recommend any herbal/holistic approach or home remedy without first consulting your vet. If one vet isn't able to help her, get a second opinion. As you already know, it's not good to give steroids, especially for long periods.

Have they done any allergy tests on her?
    You're certain it isn't fleas giving her fits?
    What sort of food does she eat?

One of my dogs gets a skin allergy almost every year starting as soon as July and ending as late as October. My vet has called it (jokingly) 'State Fair Disease', as it seems to happen right around the time of the State Fair. I have been told that it is an allergy to grasses. He gets only one injection of synthetic steroid and sometimes an antibiotic if it's particularly bad.

Yes I agree. Any kind of alternative medcine you give should be shown to your vet before actually giving it to your doggy. But this does seem really tough so that's why I thought some sort ofc alternative could be helpful! Anyway I hope she feels better soon!! (I know waiting while watching a pet in pain is the absolute worst)
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 6, 2006, 05:43 PM
    DO NOT give your dog any more steriod injections! They do damage even after one shot. It also causes Cushings Disease.
    Has your vet recommended any antihistamines? There are about 8 different ones that can be used on dogs. Just like people one may work for you that doesn't for another. The typical one to start with is Benadryl. Ask your vet. They also have dye free for dogs this vertain allergies? What type of flea treatment do you use? What type of food do you feed? Vaccination history?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund skin infection [ 3 Answers ]

We just got a daschund puppy who has some patches of hair loss with tiny healing lesions on his head. He has been on antibiotics & we were given a shampoo to use. What could this be, are we treating it right, & is there a long term problem?

Scalp Condition: What is it? [ 2 Answers ]

I have flaky, dandruff-like skin and I've always assumed it was just dandruff. The past few months, however, it seemed like more than just dandruff. I have researched it, and cannot find exactly what it might be. My scalp is very oily and I have oily skin. I get patches on my scalp that are very...

Pre-existing condition [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid off his job in Feb. 2006. His insurance continued through the end of Feb. and then I added him to my insurance as of March 1st 2006. His doctor scheduled an endoscopie. It was done in May(under MY insurance). Because he had talked with his doctor about acid reflux in Jan. and...

Air condition [ 3 Answers ]

OK I live in a mobile home in Oklahoma its been 100 pluse here last couple weeks and I noticed the other day my unit way making a scretching sound everyonece in a while then today it was a long scretching that didn't stop so I felt the air vent and it was blowing hot air so turned the unit off......

Air condition will not shut off [ 3 Answers ]

My thermostat has seemed as if it was showing the wrong temps . Now the air blowing out doesn't feel as cold as it was. When I switch to off it blows warm air. I can only shut if off through circuit breaker and that feels warm to the touch. The fan is in the auto mode. I live in a mobil home in...

View more questions Search