Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rene48 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 12:18 PM
    AMISH ways
    I am curious- the Amish say that they disavow electricity and telephones, autos, but in the past horror on PA the Amish teacher used a telephone for 911 and the children were put on life support and were transported in ambulances,
    Is this hypocrisy?
    Lianne20 Posts: 33, Reputation: 5

Oct 8, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Found this info on a website...

New Order Amish are more progressive and use telephones in their homes, pneumatic (air) operated equipment, electrical generators, bicycles, and gas pressured lights. Rubber tires, milking machines and milk bulk tanks are allowed by the New Order Amish as well as a skid steer loaders for moving manure and feed on the farm. Limited use of modern technology is allowed, but they still require their Amish members to use horses for farm field work and transportation.

Non-Amish or "English" people often wonder why the Amish are not allowed to own telephones or automobiles, but often use their "English" neighbor's appliances. The simple answer is that the Amish church believes that the restriction on owning modern technologies like telephones and cars keep their community intact and somewhat separate from the rest of the world. Modern technology is considered "worldly" and not a necessity. However, members are allowed to use these luxuries, but not own them.
    Gillion Posts: 52, Reputation: 17

Oct 8, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rene48
    I am curious- the Amish say that they disavow electricity and telephones, autos, but in the past horror on PA the Amish teacher used a telephone for 911 and the children were put on life support and were transported in ambulances,
    Is this hypocrisy?
    No.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are some ways you make money from home? [ 6 Answers ]

I started my own homebased business a year and a half ago and I've had really great success with it. I would love to hear how others are SUCCESSFULLY making money in a home-based business. Thanks and have a great day!!

Some nice little ways to annoy people [ 21 Answers ]

1. Specify that your drive-thru order is "to go." 2. If you have a glass eye, tap on it occasionally with your pen while talking to others. 3. Start each meal by conspicuously licking all your food, and announce that this is so no one will "swipe your grub." 4. Name your dog "Dog." 5....

Ways IT can help managers [ 3 Answers ]

Hello guys, I would be very grateful if you could help me know: 1. Ways Information Technology can help managers fulfil their responsibilities. 2. Functions of operating system Any answer from you good people would be very much appreciated and thanks.

Legal Ways of Determining US Citizenship [ 7 Answers ]

Are there any legal ways of determining if an employee is a US citizen and/or able to work in the US prior to hiring on the application?

View more questions Search