Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msellers007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 07:51 AM
    No pilot on Hot Water heater
    I have a 2005 state select hot water heater. We had no hot water this morning. The pilot was out.. I tried to start it but it doesn't even try to light. When I take the pilot cover off water drips out and I can see about an eighth of an inch of water in the bottom of the tank. I also see a damp sticker on the upper part of the tank with a small rust line... just below what looks like a water line coming from the tank. What do I do?
    scott_1976 Posts: 96, Reputation: 19

Jun 5, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msellers007 View Post
    I have a 2005 state select hot water heater. we had no hot water this morning. the pilot was out.. I tried to start it but it doesn't even try to light. when I take the pilot cover off water drips out and I can see about an eighth of an inch of water in the bottom of the tank. I also see a damp sticker on the upper part of the tank with a small rust line... just below what looks like a water line coming from the tank. What do I do?
    I would say to have it replaced, most places like Home Depot and Lowe's will have installation and free haul away as well
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Hi Msellers007:

Sounds like the heater may be shot... but first check at the at all the tappings of the heater and make sure that you see no wetness anywhere else on the outside of the heater.

After that, you want to contact a local plumber and get him/her to check on the WARRANTY on this heater. Since it was installed in 2005 it should still be under warranty.

You can check the warranty right now by clicking on the following link:

https://warranty.hotwater.com/Heater...erSearch.aspx?

You will need the serial number and the model number which are found on a tag located at the middle front of the heater. You will need to present this tag as proof of purchase so be careful when peeling it off. Worst case, some plumbers will cut the jacket to get the tag off, but you should be able to peel it off if you go slowly.

Let us know if you need more info...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Hot water heater pilot [ 2 Answers ]

Pilot won't stay lit.

Hot water heater pilot light [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Reliance self cleaning gas 808 hot water heater. Had to turn it off to flea bomb the house but for the life of me, can't actually find the pilot light to re-light! The directions of HOW to light it are on the tank but no diagram for actually finding the thing! Can anyone direct me on...

Water Heater Pilot [ 2 Answers ]

My water heater is about 2 years old and the pilot lights keep turning off :mad:

Pilot Light on Hot Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! My pilot light was out on our hot water heater yesterday and I could not get it lit all evening. I tried again this morning to no avail. I had a friend come over and it started for him. My next question is... does the light stay on all the time? Or will it shut off when it reaches...

View more questions Search