Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Jun 5, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Camera dropped, won't focus correctly.
    Hi,
    I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ2 digital. Yesterday I was about to connect my camera to the PC but dropped it from about 18" to the floor.
    Now, when I switch it on it the lenses move back and forth trying to focus and there is a shadow around the veiwing screen. After about 6 0r 7 secs the camera shows a message saying "turn off camera and back on again". This makes no difference.
    Does anyone in the know have any ideas if this sounds an expensive repair or should I just bin it?
    Thanks Richard.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jun 5, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cornedbeef View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ2 digital. Yesterday I was about to connect my camera to the pc but dropped it from about 18" to the floor.
    Now, when I switch it on it the lenses move back and forth trying to focus and there is a shadow around the veiwing screen. After about 6 0r 7 secs the camera shows a message saying "turn off camera and back on again". This makes no difference.
    Does anyone in the know have any ideas if this sounds an expensive repair or should I just bin it?
    Thanks Richard.
    Today's non-DSLR digital cameras are built to be considered disposable. Unless the camera is still under warranty, the minimum charge to have a camera repair center even look at the camera is often more than the camera is worth (repaired, used) and you are better off putting the money towards a new camera.

If you want to try repairing it yourself, please see this link:

Fixing a lens error on a digital camera

Although the problem you have may not match exactly with the lens error problem outlined on that page, that page gives you a lot of tips about how you can try to fix the camera yourself, if you are so inclined.

Jun 7, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I have tried out what you said but none of the suggestions worked. I think I am going to bin it.
    Cheers Richard.

Jul 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Hi,

I went to the suggested site and tried all the various ideas
    On there, but to no avail. In desperation just before binning it I thought I would do the very thing that was said not to do, i.e pushing the lense back in. I heard a clicking noise and then the lense went in fully. I switched it off and back on and all was as it should be.
    I am not suggesting doing this, but if you are at the stage of binning the camera, like me , you have nothing to loose!!

Cheers Richard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"constant focus".. "focus factor" [ 12 Answers ]

Has anyone tried these products? Do they work? I've got a lot of studying to do for an important exam coming up in a couple of months. Any personal information regarding these products would be much appreciated.

Why do men break up to focus on themselves? [ 23 Answers ]

After seeing a lot of cases of this recently, and having been in the situation myself, and having talked to 2 male friends who did the same I can say it is extremely common for a man to drop the relationship when he feels he is not himself , or his job is not going well or has too many other issues...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

View more questions Search