Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    concernedmom76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 04:31 AM
    Do I hold back my child because of Double Vision?
    Recently my son has been diagnosed with double vision. He is in vision therapy and we have just started talking to a tutor. Both his teacher and the tutor suggest that we hold him back. His pediatrician and eye Dr. have said not to. He did pass for the year, but failed for the last two nine weeks in reading and language arts. Now, he is the oldest in his class and would be 8 starting in the first grade again. His maturity is not an issue, just the lack of ability to read. What do we do?
    dtaylor1965 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 04:34 AM
    No
    dtaylor1965 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 04:35 AM

No
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 12:26 PM

Get him an IEP that way he can stay in the classes he can keep up on and have special classes on the ones he gets behind on.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 10:01 AM

Have you seen changes in his reading since the diagnosis was made? If he has the ability there is no reason to hold him back.

I sat in on a re-evail just last week for a student who recently had surgery for her hearing, the difference in her work was very obvious... it wasn't that she couldn't do the work, she just wasn't hearing all of the information she needed to do the work.

Sounds like it may be the same for your son with his vision and reading. If it isn't an issue of not being able to read but one of not being able to see clearly... take care of that and you'll likely see a difference in his performance.

Between a tutor this summer, and extra support if need be at school next year, he'll catch up if it is just a sight factor.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 05:54 PM

I say he can continue on and just be in a special class for his reading.
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Jun 28, 2009, 03:04 PM

Do not hold him back. With an IEP he can get accommodations to give him an even playing field. You wouldn't hold back a kid because there's a vision impairment only, yet no academic need. GL :)
    seasidecat Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Absolutely not! I teach first grade; at 8 years old he needs to be with his peers. Get him on a 504, and insist that modifications be made for him, include tutoring to get him where he needs to be in reading. You'll need to be a strong advocate for this child. Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 05:42 PM

I would move him on, but get with the school and see they set up a special program to help work on his reading skills. Plus you do that at home with him also.
    Moneyproblems Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 02:57 PM
    I realize what a tough decision it is for you with your child's age and reading ability playing a role. However, there are lots of services out there for your child. Because your child is behind in reading now, doesn't mean he/she won't catch up later on. With extra help from school support staff your child will be on level eventually so holding him/her back shouldn't be a concern based on reading level.
    There is equipment available to help with the double vision that can be provided by the school he/she attends, so long as your child has an iep. Your child will get extra time to perform activities so that isn't so much of a struggle.
    There is so much out there to help ease your child's path through his/her education. Holding your child back is ultimately your decision, but I hope this information helped.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 31, 2010, 02:45 PM

I'm very surprised that your child's teacher recommended retention. There's no way that an 8-year-old should be in first grade. This move could possibly stunt his social growth. I agree with the previous posters, it sounds like your child needs an IEP. This would provide your son with additional support in reading.

When a child receives any kind of additional reading support the first goal is to provide the student with the skills to stop falling behind, that is to make 1 year's worth of growth in 1 years time. The next step, and ultimate goal, in to have your child close the gap.

Keep something in mind... in some districts the special education referral process can be smooth, in others you may have to be very persistent. Do not let this deter you. I always advise the parents in my class to seek out a "child advocate." The advocate will be well versed in special education law and will help you through each step in the process.

I wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should you change schools if you are going to hold your child back? [ 7 Answers ]

We are thinking about holding our 1st grader back a year in school. He is the youngest and smallest in his class. He has struggled with his reading skills since kindergarten. He is not at the maturity level of the other kids. He has a reading tutor and his kindergarten teacher tutors him twice...

Trying to hold child back but school is giving me a hard time [ 11 Answers ]

My 6 year old daughter has had a hard time with math and reading she has been going to extra classes for help it has helped a little I would like to hold her back in the first grade and so would one of her teachers we had a meeting with the principal about it he thinks holding her back would be a...

Double Vision [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause double vision after 6 hrs flying, the double vision last 6 hrs. not other symptons, just slight headache.

Double vision [ 1 Answers ]

I experience double vision when I turn my head left. Is a remedy available

Double vision [ 7 Answers ]

Yesterday I was riding in a vehicle and all of a sudden a started seeing double. This lasted for about 45 seconds. I had no other systems. What would have caused this?

View more questions Search