Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephwebb07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 12:47 AM
    Retail theft over 300
    Well me and my husband went to walmart the other day and when I walked away to get a soda he tried to walk out the door with everything we had in the cart I wasn't with him when he walked out cause I guess as soon as I went to get a soda he hurried out the door. I went back to the garden center where he was supposed to wait for me and I saw him running over by the gas station I thought maybe he saw someone he knew and was going to say hi and I paid for the soda and then walked towards the gas station to find him and then a cop walks up to me and slaps the cuffs on me and tells me I'm under arrest for shop liftting. I knew nothing about him stealing the items but they said since I walked in with him and walked around with him I'm considered guilty as well. I was worried if this is even legal.. He told the cops I knew nothing about what he was doing but they are still trying to charge me too. I really didn't know he was going to steal the items.. And I don't know much about the system because I have no prevouis record. I just want to know if I even have a fair chance to clear my name..

I didn't walk out the door with anything but the soda I paid for.. So I'm trying to firgure out how I can fight this..

Any help would be great.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 04:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephwebb07 View Post
    I didn't walk out the door with anything but the soda I payed for.. So I'm trying to firgure out how I can fight this..
    Hello steph:

You don't have to DO anything. The state has to prove that you DID steal. If you didn't, then they can't prove you did.

Get a lawyer and keep your mouth shut.

excon
    stephwebb07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello steph:

You don't have to DO anything. The state has to prove that you DID steal. If you didn't, then they can't prove you did.

Get a lawyer and keep your mouth shut.

excon
    Well, What I was told is since we walked in together and was walking around together then I helped him steal the items but I didn't.. If I would have known he was going to steal stuff I wouldn't have even gone with him.. Because I plan on becoming on RN and I can't get a job if I have a record. But since I didn't walk out the door with anything that was stolen I'm not understanding how they can even charge me. I had to pay 1000 dollars bail just to come back home to take care of my kids. In your honest option, What are my chances of getting my charges dropped and getting my bail money back?

Also the jail lost my wedding ring is there anything I can do? To make them actually find it cause they told me they looked for it but it was no where to be found.. and it wasn't really a cheap ring..

Thanks for your help. I'm feeling a little better about this now.
    ariandallysmama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 09:43 AM
    Hes right keep your mouth shut and you are always,innocent until proven beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty. Lawyer up and unless they have footage of say you stuffing your bra lol than they can't say you've stolen anything. As for your 1000 its going to go towards court and lawyers fees if you choose to use a public defender if you have any left (unlikely since the courts are bogus in fines) it will be ret I rned to you but every time you appear in court they drain money from your bail... Goodluck hun I'm a mom as well and I've also been on the unfair end of the court system also thanks to my husbands stupid mistakes...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retail theft [ 2 Answers ]

What is the offense for a retail theft under 40 dollars, after they accused me of stealing personal pictures, I paid for them after the citation was given to contact the court. My question is will I get jail time for a first offense of a small amount of retail theft, even though I paid for the...

Retail Theft [ 5 Answers ]

Ok here is my situation. I was 17 and stupid I was fired from a job with retail theft. The day they fired me I was pulled into the office and accused of stealing $50 out of a cash register and stealing from the company. I told them I didn't take any money out of the register except for when I...

Retail theft under $100 [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently caught trying to steal a few small items from a walmart store. An undercover police officer working there caught me. The items totaled to about $45. I did not have to go to jail and get bailed out but was issued a citation and have to show up in court. Should I get a lawyer? I'm 21...

Retail theft [ 2 Answers ]

I recently got arrested for retail theft but the item was only 20 dollars but this is also my second offence what do you think will happen oh it's a misdemeanor

Retail Theft $700 [ 3 Answers ]

I recently took aroun $700 from a retail store where I was working. I loaded it onto gift cards that I was going to give out. I did have the intention of repaying the money, but was caught before I had a chance (not that it would have made a difference). I know that it was incredibly wrong and...

View more questions Search