Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BillyG69 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Problems with John Deere L120 mower
    My John Deere L120 mower has a problem going up embankments or even slight hills. I have replaced both mower belt and drive belt and the two plastic pulleys. It still "won't hardly pull itself" up a grade. Is the problem in the rear end or is there an adjustment on the differential?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 11:09 AM

Do you hear the belts slipping when you climb a grade or is there just a lack of power?

Jun 5, 2009, 11:14 AM

No, there is absolutely no slippage! It simply acts "like it can't pull itself up the hill"! No noise, no rattle, no squeak, no nothing but frustration after both belts and the pulleys were replaced. Thanks.

Jun 5, 2009, 11:17 AM

So you actuallly hear the engine losing RPMs, does it ever actually stall the engine?

Jun 5, 2009, 11:23 AM

Nope! It just spins the back tires and tries to move forward, but if there is much of an incline, it won't go. It runs great on the level or just a bit of a rise. The engine never misses or hesitates, just won't GO up the hill!
    Thanks.

Jun 5, 2009, 11:25 AM

Tires spinning is a whole new ball game. Turf tires will spin way before a tractor tire. You may need more wheel weight or better tires. I was thinking you had a transmission problem or maybe a engine losing power. You just got to hit that hill transversely, on an angle or get tires with more bite.

Jun 5, 2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Jun 5, 2009, 11:31 AM

Check out the different types of tread http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20..._andg_util.htm

Jun 5, 2009, 11:39 AM

I just can't think it's the tires; they are not short on tread. It seems to be "dragging it's behind" on the uphill stretch. Yes, I do angle across the hill, but it started this about a month ago. Even that is an effort. Before that it would run right up a hill! Thanks.

Jun 5, 2009, 01:01 PM

Check under you deck for anything that should not be hanging down low like a anti scalp wheel or guide.
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2009, 01:07 PM

Could also be the transmission!if so,get a nother mower,it will be cheeper!

Jun 5, 2009, 07:16 PM

Yep! Nothing is dragging or hanging down. It baffles me because it "runs like a Deere" on the level... just the inclines that it drags or refuses to climb. Thanks

Jun 8, 2009, 07:11 AM

I think your trans is OK since you can spin your wheels. I am a bit lost at this point without being able to inspect the mower. It sounds like an external drag causing friction with the ground but if the deck is clear I have no idea where to go from here, sorry.

Jun 8, 2009, 10:03 AM

I am lost to. Did you check the drive belt?

Reply Soon!

Mower_Man your mower expert!

Jun 8, 2009, 10:09 AM

I am thinking something must be touching the ground. The trans and belts must be OK if he can spin his tires. Then again I have never asked him what degree of slope he is driving up. My mowers all start to get a bit slippery after 30 degrees or steeper.

Jun 8, 2009, 10:12 AM

Yeah,probably so.I to agree with Ballengerb1.

I myself have no earthly idea.

I have never heard of this thpe of problem.

Reply Soon!

Mower_Man your mower expert!
    Leo7189 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 09:21 AM
    I had the same problem with my old 1996 John Deer LT133 lawn tractor. I also replaced the belts which helped some but what I finally discovered was some of the 4 motor support bolts that hold the motor to the frame had loosened though the years of use and had actully fallen out. This allowed the motor to twist and shift slightly back enough for the belt to loosen and slip especially when going up hill. Check the four bolts that hold the motor to the frame and make sure that they are in position and tight.
    Hopefully this will help your situation.
    Happy mowing
    Megs 31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 07:12 PM
    The John Deere L 120 is junk I would not recommend it to any one or any other John Deere products I boughty a brand new L120 07/31/04 since then I have replaced three spindles on the deck and 1 transmission and I only have 350 hours on it and it will soon need another transmission.But no need for the new transmission now my wife was mowing the grass on Sunday and the right rear wheel broke at a weld around the axle shaft while she was going up a hill the lawnmower ran backwards and fliped on top of her end over end I contactacted John Deere told them they should have a safety recall on this before somebody is killed or hurt really bad they said they can't do anything for me or anything else I would have to sue them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L120 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a three year old John Deere L120 lawn tractor that has about 195 hours on it. I cut about 1.5-2 acres once a week, maybe a little more often in the fall to pick up leaves. Recently, the blade clutch experienced an electrical failure for which my local dealer quoted a $500-600 repair. While...

John Deere L120 Transaxle [ 12 Answers ]

Is there a way to add hydraulic fluid to a John Deere L120 riding mower? Background: it's about 5 years old. This year it is having difficulty going up hills. I thought it might be the belt, so with the unit upright, I replaced the belt. Now, it won't go at all. I believe (is this possible?)...

John Deere L120 - engaging mower deck stall tractor [ 1 Answers ]

When I engage the mower deck on my JD L120, this one is from a JD not Lowe's or HD, the tractor stalls. Manually pulling on the belts I am able to turn the blades. Tractor is 3 years old and used for residential moving.

John Deere L120 disassembly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a L120 with 119 hrs. on it that has thrown its drive belt. What is the easiest way to disassemble the tractor to get to the belt? I have replaced the deck belt X 2, spring tensioners, spindles but this looks a bit more tedious. David

View more questions Search