Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvqjimbo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2006, 01:21 AM
    Accessing my own public records
    How do I find and access what prospective employers see when they do a background check? Also, need to find out exact dates of previous companies I have worked for. Has to be a way without paying a service to do it ($40). Aany suggestions? All help appreciated !

dvqjimbo1
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Background checks are done through a variety of companies that compile public info... so included are usually credit reports, police records, rental records, court records, etc.

There is not, though, a reliable employment database that a majority of employers report to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 07:05 AM
    To find out dates you worked for someone, you will need to contact each of your employers in writing asking for your dates of employments. This is not in a data base with exact dates.

And most of the info they will find about you, you should already know.
    Bad debts, late pays who you owe money to, they can find out about your past employment by contacting them. They will run a criminal history and find out about any convictions.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2006, 08:47 AM
    ... just one thing I thought of to add: If your previous employment was in a position where you must be licensed, then in that case the agency or agencies that those licenses were through would have some record.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2006, 10:42 AM
    There is this myth that anyone can find out all about a person on the Internet. While there is a significant amount of info is one searches, its not all there.

Companies that perform background checks pay for the service. Work is done by investigators (depending on the depth of the check). These investigations use info you provided. So they may check previous employers by simply calling for an employment check.

You can get a copy of your credit bureau report, which is usually part of such a check. But anything more would depend on the company doing the check and how in depth a check they were contracted to do.

But your question raises one in my mind. WHY do you need to know? Do you plan on falsifying or even leaving things out of your resume? If so, I would forget it. As long as you are honest in your resume and application, then you have nothing to be concerned about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accessing adoption records [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone can help me! * I'm adopted and have recently decided to search for my biological family. Thing is there is a lot of stuff about the adoption I don't know. I've heard I am entitled to view my records, but I have no idea how to go about it. If anyone can offer me any...

Accessing VB dll from VC++ [ 6 Answers ]

I have developed windows dll from VB. (The site http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/04/26/create_dll.html?page=3 gives a way to generate windows dll from VB). When I try to access it from VC++, it gives run time error as access violation. But I can access it from VB client If...

Accessing computer on domain [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot access one of my domain member. The error message is " Network Path Was Not Found".

"public records" [ 3 Answers ]

When a search for "public records" is done on Yahoo! 229 million results come back. The majority of the results are for companies that offer public records searches for a fee. If they are public records, why is there a fee? Where are they getting their information?

Anonymity on House Deed/Public Records? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to not have my name on my house deed because it is a public record and can be looked up easily by surnames? (this is for personal safety concerns) Would purchasing the home in the name of a Trust or LLC work? Any other ideas? Thank you for your help. ...

View more questions Search