Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvqjimbo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Black ink - color printer
    Will just black cartridge work in printer that usually has black AND color cartridges -- printer work? Don't want to buy both-- might just get new printer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2006, 09:55 AM
    Usually you need to have both cartridges in. Depending on the model it may not be necessary for both carts to be full.

I do know people who just buy a new, cheap (under $50) printer rather than buying replacement carts.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Many of the newer inkjet printers have two cartridges, one black and one with the three colours (yes, some do have a cartridge per colour). If the colour cartridges are empty the printer can print only black or you can set its default printing to only black. You can post your printer model here and we can do a little quick research for you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 11:04 AM
    I've been running my hp deskjet 5550 now for about 3 months on an empty color cartridge - and with the settings set to run off only the black cartridge - and it's doing just fine.

One thing to note: When printing just black text, printers will pull ink from the color cartridge... so if you're going to go the above route, be sure to look for the setting that indicates "use from the black cartridge only".

Oct 4, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Black ink - color printer update
    When at ink store, realized I brought in wrong cartridges (hp deskjet 550)--I now have Lexmark Z53. Clerks didn't think would work with only one cartridge. Asked about trying with color cart. Dry, but still installed. Said probably. Then remembered about printing only in black option on computer. Decided to buy black, install empty color. While waiting for change and receipt, saw 'refill' kit. Decided that was best. Instead of ~$45, only~$10. If not work, no big deal. Otherwise, new printer ~$ 60. Getting ready to try. Will let you know. Thanks for the help.

Oct 8, 2006, 01:09 AM
    Black ink - color printer -- update 2
    I eventually got some color (didn't refill this one--soaked nozzle) to print, then, was trying anything and everything --- now it's all screwed up. I keep getting messages: 'error in writing to LPT1' ; 'printer offline' ; 'prnter head... ' . Have tried so many different configurations that now, it's telling me 'printer not connected to network', or, can't find port.

comp. given to me by friend -- his co. upgrading-- IBM PC 350
    Printer-bought at pawn shop for $12 -- lexmark Z53 (couldn't get HP to work)

Also, am using dial-up, tried creating 'home network' to elimnate connection noise. I have chaanged so many settings, properties, what's installed,etc... I'm not sure this is fixable.

I have no installation disks, manuals, or instructions.

Am ready to junk this whole set-up. -- really can't afford to right now though

Any suggestions??
    DIANA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need name of older movie [ 2 Answers ]

It most probably was on television late 70's early 80's. There was a woman who cured the sick by touching them. I remember one scene in which she stopped a little girl's nosebleed. I know it's not much, please help if you can. Thanks!!

How do I dye my jet black hair to a light brown color? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I dyed my hair dark brown but obviously it came out in this unnatural gothic black color. How do I color it back to something like ight or medium brown? Can I use semi permanent haircolor or something else? If so what color do you recommend I use? Thanks

Fax/Color Printer/Copier-Mac Compatible [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know which combination fax/color printer/copier is the most compatible with Macintosh. Looking at a hewlit packard site there have apparently Been many things that haven't worked too well in the past. I need simple, straightforward, good quality that's relatively fast.

View more questions Search