Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    20anonymous08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Jun 4, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Why Do People Cheat?
    I am just wondering if anyone could tell me... why do people cheat? I have been cheated on in my previous relationships. I am just curious as to why people feel the need to cheat...
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 04:25 PM
    The only relationship I haven't cheated in is my marriage. That's the reason I got married for the first, and hopefully only time was when I was almost 38 years old. I knew I didn't want to cheat on my wife. I don't know why I cheated, I didn't mean it as being hateful, or ugly. I think the main reason is that I wanted to have my cake and eat it too. "I didn't want to be alone" was another point of validation that I afforded myself, being out of town a lot at that time. I was just a horn dog, I think . Some people use the primitive, "men are hunters by nature" excuse. It wasn't a tally/total thing for me, I kept my sex life to myself, and didn't brag like a lot of guys do. I think people by nature, like to feel that they are attractive to the opposite sex. I think innocent flirting is healthy, as long as it doesn't go any further. That's the hard part when you are single, not having any long lasting ties, or serious commitments. I'd like to hear from an expert on this too. Good luck on your quest finding fidelity.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 04:32 PM

People cheat for a number of reasons. It can be just for that cheap thrill or even because you feel neglected in the relationship.

There are numerous and countless reasons:
    -I was bored
    -He/she wasn't open sexually
    -He/she does support me
    -He/she is always traveling
    -I felt trapped in the relationship
    -I wanted to see what cheating felt like
    -I suddenly believe in being poly amorous.
    -He/she always blamed me for cheating so I finally did
    -I'm not in love anymore
    -I fell in love with the person I cheated with

Like I said a lot of reasons, and I'm sure there could be many more added to that list.

It's not why the person cheated that really matter- it's just the fact that they did it.

Simply. I think your going for the same type of person, so you keep getting the same type of results. My opinion would be to go and meet different "kinds" of people.

Sarah
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 06:14 PM

Only the cheater knows why they cheat. Be lucky your no longer with him and know all guys don't cheat.
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Jun 4, 2009, 06:39 PM

I don't have a specific answer on why people cheat. In school, kids cheat on test, copy other's homework, or cut school because it benefits them. They want to avoid whatever bad things may happen if they do things the honest way. I think adults have the same reasoning.
    I had a fiancée that got upset one night because I was too tired for sex. He said,"This is why people cheat, if I cheat, it's your fault." I gave the ring back, and freed myself of that jerk.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by makapuu View Post
    I had a fiancee that got upset one night because I was too tired for sex. He said,"This is why people cheat, if I cheat, it's your fault." I gave the ring back, and freed myself of that jerk.
    Good call makapuu.

Sarah
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 05:27 AM

They cheat for all sorts of reasons, each one differing and valid in their own minds.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 06:03 AM

Where there is a will, there is a way. Cheaters cheat because they want to, period.
    20anonymous08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Jun 5, 2009, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Only the cheater knows why they cheat. Be lucky your no longer with him and know all guys don't cheat.
    Thanks I know not all guys cheat. I am with my boyfriend of now 6 years and he has never been unfaithful luckily. It's just all my previous relationships I dealt with them cheating on me. I was just wondering what you think. Because that of course really hurt my self-esteem/confidence and left me with trust issues.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 20anonymous08 View Post
    Thanks i know not all guys cheat. I am with my bf of now 6 years and he has never been unfaithful luckily. It's just all my previous relationships i dealt with them cheating on me. I was just wondering what u think. Because that of course really hurt my self-esteem/confidence and left me with trust issues.
    I am glad you found someone that treats you right. I have been mistreated by guys in the past but I am glad I found everything I wanted in my fiancé. He is my better half.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Well I am not proud saying I was the cheater. But my choices were beyond me. I knew I didn't want to do it but yet I continued to cheat. Part of me was done with my marriage. I was sick of the constant struggle to be happy. I spoke with my husband over and over and over again about not being happy and what we needed to do but it never happened. I never got his attention unless it was sex. I just wanted to feel special and I never did. Someone out there did it and I fell for it. Even though it was wrong and this person was all wrong for me he gave me what I needed. Did it fix anything or make me feel better? Nope in the end it was all worse. But it was like a drug. That feel good moment I would have was like a high for me and in the moment I liked that happy feeling.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 08:09 AM

Usually because they lack something in the relationship and they find it with someone else.

Also because they want to experience how it feels to have someone new and exciting.

Most importantly, because society's moral standards are degrading these days and people tend to do whatever they want for selfish reasons without thinking about anyone else.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Let me just say I debated on posting my reasons for cheating because I am not proud of what I have done. But know there are some of us who have cheated and are very sorry for it. In the end there was no greener grass and the happiness is only short term.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post
    Let me just say I debated on posting my reasons for cheating because I am not proud of what I have done. But know there are some of us who have cheated and are very sorry for it. In the end there was no greener grass and the happiness is only short term.
    Thank you jm... I hate talking about it but it helps when there are so many feelings involved. They wanted to know why people cheat so that's why. Not an excuse, I know, but when you give up inside I guess right from wrong goes away also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is he going to cheat again [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend cheated on me he swears he won't do it again but I need to know before we move on

Did he cheat? [ 11 Answers ]

Wow, I can't believe I'm writing on this... I think I just need to get it out to ease my own mind. Here goes: My husband and I were long-distance up until we got married and he moved near me. We both met after college, and quickly knew we would get married. I had a lot of male friends, and I...

Why do men cheat? [ 17 Answers ]

I don't understand why a woman continues to date a married man. The woman my husband got hooked up with knew from the start and that never bothered her. My husband told her he would never leave me. They were sneaking around together for a year then I found out and he left her. He apologizes and...

Why men cheat? [ 2 Answers ]

I saw the other post "Why women cheat?" I think us girls need to know how men cheat? Please men only why did you cheat or did you ever consider it? (don't get mad I copied this post, I think it's good having it for men and women)

Did she cheat? [ 5 Answers ]

Sorry if this question is gross but I just wanted some help. The night before last my girlfriend was out of town at some old friends house. A lot of people stayed there that might including her ex-boyfriend. Well when he was talked about she said yes he was flirty and stuff but she of course...

View more questions Search