Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustafahalil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Accident reconstruction
    A car skids on a dr , level road surface for distance of 17.5 it.s final speed was 24kmh
    Skid testing with the same car gives a coefficient of friction 0.73

(I) how much further would the car have skidded had it contiued on until it stopped?

(ii) Had the car been travelling at initial speed of 72kmh what distance would it have skidded (a) to 24kmh and (b) to stop:confused:
    carcrashexpert Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2009, 05:37 PM

For the following, I assume you mean 17.5 m (you didn't specify).

Additional skid distance:
    V^2 = Vo^2 + to a S
    so, S = (V^2 - Vo^2) / (2 a)
    Where V, final speed, is zero, and Vo, initial speed, is 24km/h (divide by 3.6 to convert to m/s). Multiply friction coefficient f by gravity (9.81 m/s^2) to get acceleration, a, in m/s^2.
    S = ((24/3.6)^2) / (2*9.81*.73) = 2.3 m

Skidding from 72 to 24, use the same equation:
    V^2 = Vo^2 - to a S
    (24/3.6)^2 = (72/3.6)^2 - 2*9.81*.73*S
    S = 24.8 m

Total skid distance without impact is straightforward, just add the two distances. (27.1 m)

Hope that helps. More than that, you have to hire me! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are there charities who pay for breast reconstruction for cancer patients [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 23 years old and might have breast cancer. I'm waiting on my mammogram right now. I know I might now have it, but I just keep imagining myself with my breast cut off and crying. I was dating this guy and he said he didn't think he could be with me if I didn't have a boob. So I broke up...

Foot reconstruction [ 2 Answers ]

:) I had to have my big toe and half the metatarsal bone behind it amputated because of a MRSA infection.Can my foot be reconstructed?It is very hard to wear a shoe and keep it on even with an insert.Can it be rebuilt?

Congressional Reconstruction [ 2 Answers ]

What the congressional reconstruction greatest accomplishments

View more questions Search