Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    commalot Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Gas sensor with automatic shut-off
    My wife is in the beginning stages of dementia (lessened mental faculties). She often leaves the water running, doors open, etc. The burners on our oven occasionally don't light right away and a match is required to light them. I'm concerned that some day she will turn on a burner, it doesn't light, but then she doesn't turn it off. I did a search for a gas sensor with an automatic shut-off and found 2 in China but nothing in the US. I did find a product for marine use with Propane but not Natural Gas. Does anyone know of a company in the US that sells such a product?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 4, 2009, 11:48 AM

I have not seen such a product either but would suggest you look into fixing the pilot light or spark ignitor on your stove. Do you know which you have, ignitors make a clicking sound when the gas valve is opened.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 12:32 PM

Gas Alarm Solenoid Valve Shuts Off Gas Appliances.

Jun 4, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Thanks for the replys. It's a spark ignitor type. It works 99% of the time. Just every once in a while it doesn't. Then 5 minutes later it is working. Weird. I'll check into the gas alarm solinoid product.

Jun 4, 2009, 12:47 PM

Most ignitors need an occasional brushing with a brass wire brush. KISS gave you a great tool as a backup.

Jun 4, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Most ignitors need an occasional brushing with a brass wire brush.
    I didn't know that about ignitors. I'll try the brush first and see if that handles it. Thanks again.

Jun 5, 2009, 09:20 AM

Some stoves have one igniotr for a pair of burners while other use only one for the entire cook surface,lift the tray and grates out to do your cleaning. The auto valve should be a fail safe but the biurners should be made to light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? [ 8 Answers ]

97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it...

My Mom Won't Shut Up and My dad won't shut up, noise noise. Annoyed. [ 18 Answers ]

My mom nevers shut up. She repeats everything and reminds me about everything. Also, my dad eats with his mouth open cause he's old and I have to hear it because my computer is near the dining room, actually basically in probably. Also, my big brother laughs upstairs at his anime.. My twin brother...

Automatic Sensor [ 3 Answers ]

What is the name of the device that sense low battery and automatically starts the charging system ? T D

Automatic Sensor [ 1 Answers ]

Were going to run around the other side of the table and ask the Q again. A bank of storage batteries ( forget auto ) has run low, it's now time for them to be recharged. What is the sensor ( device ) that recognize and kicks in the charging. Is it a charge controller ? ...

1989 honda civic. (code 4)crank angle sensor.(code 8) tdc position sensor [ 0 Answers ]

The car idles randomly after warm up.I check the ecu for codes and it gives 4 crank angle sensor and 8 tdc position sensor. I did a search and one of the ad posted by a guy in Canada says that he had to get part from different vehicles until he got all of them to work properly. Will I be able to...

View more questions Search