Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jun 3, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Any college preparing advices I can have?
    I was wondering, how could I be more prepared for college level work and that sort of things better? Next fall I'm going into 8th grade, and I'm really taking school and education seriously now. What I want to know is, if you have any advice on taking any AP classes (like advanced class) and anything like that for me so I'll be more armed and ready for college.

What can I do in school to help me get ready.

The important thing is, what can i do at home to help me. School is one thing, but I need to get some advice on what I can do at home. Like reading more challenging books, getting a tutor, etc...

ANY ADVICE AND INFORMATION ON HELPING ME PREPARE EDUCATIONALLY FOR COLLEGE (and high school) WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 09:44 PM

Hi, survivorboi!

How well do you do in the classes that you have taken and are you in any extra-curricular classes or activities at school?

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2009, 06:01 PM

I'm going into 8th grade this fall, and my tests show that I'm capable of taking 9th grade science and 9th grade math. In my 7th grade year, I take 8th grade math and the lowest grade I made is a B. Same thing with other classes, the lowest in any of my classes is a B.

If extra curricular classes means sports or things like that then no, I'm not currently involve in for any of those.

I do go to Summer camps at different universities in the summer though, I think that helps. (I believe you get credit/ or you get recommendations).

And that is not all, I plan to start doing much extra curricular activities once I'm in high school, just for the sake of my college years.

Thanks..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 06:07 PM

Do weekly volunteer work (1 or 2 hrs) at a public library, food pantry, nursing home, hospital, or animal shelter as community service work.

Jun 6, 2009, 12:00 PM

When you say "community services" work, do you mean that I do work around my neighborhood, library, and other facilities?

Not to sound selfish or lazy, but how do I know it's actually "recorded" so it will benefit me in the future?

P.S. Do all libraries have jobs for volunteers to do? And if they do, how do I make sure it's recorded for my future benefits?

THANKS!
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 12:08 PM

Hi again, survivorboi!

Anything that you do that's positive, extra-curricular and verifiable, can help with making you look like a person with excellent potential when you eventually go to an institution of higher learning.

Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    When you say "community services" work, do you mean that I do work around my neighborhood, library, and other facilities?

Not to sound selfish or lazy, but how do I know it's actually "recorded" so it will benefit me in the future?

P.S. Do all libraries have jobs for volunteers to do? And if they do, how do I make sure it's recorded for my future benefits?

THANKS!
    I am the coordinator of volunteer services at the public library where I work. I have a three-ring binder full of time sheets, one for each current volunteer. Each volunteer works his specified time and date and fills out a line on his time sheet.

For the convenience of the staff, every Monday I post a list of current volunteers so that we know who is due in when and what work they will do.

I also have a special binder that contains every volunteer's original application and total time worked, so if the director or library board wants to know how many volunteers we have had since the beginning of the program in 1993 or wants to know how many hours they worked (that allowed the staff to do other, perhaps more vital, jobs), I can supply that information.

There are libraries that do not have volunteers. Perhaps the director does not understand the value of volunteer service for community pride, or perhaps there is no one willing to coordinate such a program. That's too bad. Volunteers are our lifeblood. They do so many jobs for us, from cutting down cardboard boxes that new books arrived in to putting all the stickers and labels on new DVDs and video games to covering and labeling all the new books after they have been cataloged and entered into the library's database.

I'm also in charge of the court-ordered community service workers whom we put to work cleaning all the interior glass walls and doors, washing book shelves and book racks, cleaning soiled furniture, photocopying and collating, cleaning monitors/keyboards/mice, washing down interior stairways that are used as tornado shelters, picking up trash that is scattered over the library grounds and parking lot, weeding our garden area and parking lot islands.
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 12:33 PM

Those are awesome things that you do, Wondergirl!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    At a cat shelter, you will groom cats, empty and clean litter boxes, clip nails, mop floors, launder bedding, clean up hairballs that were thrown up, socialize shy cats, etc. At a shelter for dogs, you might walk dogs, brush them, clip nails, wash out dog runs, mop floors, clean the rooms where potential adopters get acquainted with possible adoptees, etc. At a food pantry, you would sort the incoming cans and boxes and organize them with similar foods, wash shelves, hand out foods to the homeless and others qualified.

Most of the people working at shelters and food pantries are also volunteers. In a hospital or nursing home, you would help the staff in any way assigned which might include interacting with residents or patients in various ways.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Those are awesome things that you do, Wondergirl!
    The coordinating is just for fun. My real job is cataloging library materials. Oh, yes, I also am in charge of our homebound book delivery program.
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 01:49 PM

So, it would appear that you have a lot of volunteering experience to your credit, Wondergirl!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    So, it would appear that you have a lot of volunteering experience to your credit, Wondergirl!
    As library program initiator in 1993 and as coordinator since then. I volunteer at the cat shelter. Do you have a job for me, Clough?
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    As library program initiator in 1993 and as coordinator since then. I volunteer at the cat shelter. Do you have a job for me, Clough?
    Yes! I have a job for you! How about collecting money for the "Clough Fund", and sending it to me on a weekly basis? :D

Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 02:11 PM

I suppose you want a date every Friday night too. And clean laundry every Tuesday.
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 02:18 PM

Absolutely! I can't wait! When are we going to start?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 02:23 PM

After you do my grocery shopping.
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 02:28 PM

Hey! You asked about a job for you first! So, it's only fair that you uphold your end for what needs to happen first!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 02:34 PM

Are we guilty of hijacking survivorboi's thread? What will happen to us when Curlyben sees this?
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 02:37 PM

He might not. And, a little fun on the side doesn't hurt things, but can help us to grow together as a team!

Jun 7, 2009, 07:22 AM

All right, at my local library, I believe they have volunteer works for me to do, and maybe I could ask them.

I know this is sort of different question but:

How do I prepare myself academically? For example, I've heard that in college, there is no worksheet and that they only have things like book report for you to do. They give you a 3 inch thick book and make you write a book report.

So my idea of preparing for that particular kind of work now is to read a book and try to write reports about the book. Do you think that's good?

That's my idea for reading preparation, what are other ideas?

THANKS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hello. I need some advices with my garden [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Today I found this site about siding, roofing, windows replacement Siding - Installation, Replacement & Repair. All Types: Vinyl, Wood, Metal, Etc.. But now I have a lot of questions about my garden. Please give me some sites where I will found information on garden plants. Oh I want to...

Preparing for College [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a sophomore in high school, and I definitely want to become a lawyer. What are some tips, of things that I should do in high school, that will prepare me for college. Also, what kind of courses would I be enrolled in, in college for corporate law, and about how much is tuition for a...

Please follow me and give me some advices... [ 11 Answers ]

There is one girl and guy that love each other very much, that had been together for more than one year already. During this period, they encountered different kind of obstacles that were trying to end up their relationship, when the obstacles comes, there is several times that the girl wanted to...

View more questions Search