Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    Alright, at my local library, I believe they have volunteer works for me to do, and maybe I could ask them.

I know this is sort of different question but:

How do I prepare myself academically? For example, I've heard that in college, there is no worksheet and that they only have things like book report for you to do. They give you a 3 inch thick book and make you write a book report.

So my idea of preparing for that particular kind of work now is to read a book and try to write reports about the book. Do you think thats good?

Thats my idea for reading preparation, what are other ideas?

THANKS!
    In college, in English class, you could be assigned to read five novels during the semester. The assignment could be to write a 5000-word paper that explains how the heroes of all five novels have become wiser in how they deal with unhappy women. In psychology class, you might have to write a 15-page paper that explains Jung's idea of the shadow self and how it affects a romantic relationship. There will be no way to copy the information from one source (plus, that's plagiarism), but you will have to go to the library to do research in many sources.

College expects you to think and to analyze -- and to pull together many ideas in order to create a new idea.
    lafytafy05 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Hey there,
    Im going into my senior year, now I wish I had the atittude you have. Honestly the best advice I can offer is just try. If you have the desire to do better then you will. One thing I never did was stay after for remedial, that is one thing teachers love to see- is effort. Don't misbehave in class either.

At home, just make sure you get your homework done. Throughout high school and middle school I barely ever did my homework and failed- the thing is I never cared. My parents never pushed me ither. My failing got so bad that I had to transfer to a small catholic school to get the help I needed. From my own experience I can honestly say that homework is most likely going to be one of the biggest percents of your grades. Also tests and homework go together. You do your homework and pay attention in class you will have the notes and things you need for tests. Don't be afraid to ask questions ither, you never know who else has the same question.

As per doing extra things in or out of school is make sure you are involved. Volunteer as others stated above, even see what you can do around your school. See if any teachers you have need help or anything else like that. Make sure you have at least one club or sport on your transcript-colleges love that. The farther you advance yourself the easier it will be. You will adapt to learning quick which if your already taking ap classes you should be OK. Just make sure you want to be there, if you don't you will be unhappy.

I hope I helped a little. If I didn't or told you things you knew then I appologize. I was just thinking about things I didn't do that I wish I could go back and change.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jun 14, 2009, 10:37 AM

THANKS very much guys, You've been a great help. I'm going to ask my parents to come with me to my local library and maybe get some volunteering done =D
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 10:51 PM

Hi again, survivorboi!

Do you have an idea for a possible major in college?

Thanks!
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jun 16, 2009, 02:21 PM

Ummm, I've been thinking about maybe, something that has to do with medical? Doctor perhaps, maybe either a heart or a brain doctor.
    I've had a lot of fancy ideas, like being an astronaut and things like that, put I think for now I'll stick with medical field, maybe when I grow up I might change my mind. Maybe.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 03:45 PM

Yes, you can always change your mind...

I've had a number of different types of careers in my life. Even now, I do a number of different things to make a living for myself.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hello. I need some advices with my garden [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Today I found this site about siding, roofing, windows replacement Siding - Installation, Replacement & Repair. All Types: Vinyl, Wood, Metal, Etc.. But now I have a lot of questions about my garden. Please give me some sites where I will found information on garden plants. Oh I want to...

Preparing for College [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a sophomore in high school, and I definitely want to become a lawyer. What are some tips, of things that I should do in high school, that will prepare me for college. Also, what kind of courses would I be enrolled in, in college for corporate law, and about how much is tuition for a...

Please follow me and give me some advices... [ 11 Answers ]

There is one girl and guy that love each other very much, that had been together for more than one year already. During this period, they encountered different kind of obstacles that were trying to end up their relationship, when the obstacles comes, there is several times that the girl wanted to...

View more questions Search