Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ndaug21 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Hunter Ceiling Fan Control Smoking
    I installed a new ceiling fan and control (with dimmer and 3 speed fan setting) a little over 2 weeks ago. It has been operating fine until this morning. The fan and light were both on and the switch made a popping sound and started smoking. I quickly shut off the circuit and it has remained that way while I try to figure out what to do.

Another piece of information is that the light on the fan has always seemed dim to my wife and me. It takes 4-40W bulbs. I wasn't in the room this morning, but according to my wife when the popping sound occurred the lights shut off then came back on brighter than it had been (what she thought was normal brightness for 40W bulbs), then off and back on again and the switch started smoking.

Assuming it is a bad switch, I am considering just installing another switch, but I want to make sure it is not something else. Please give me some possible explanation and/or steps to take to make sure its safe.

Thanks.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 3, 2009, 06:26 PM

Need to know more information on how you wired things to determine the situation.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 06:43 PM

Tell us more about the switch, is it a wall mount duel switch made for a fan?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Tell us more about the switch, is it a wall mount duel switch made for a fan?
    +1

Did you just purchase the control, or is it older?

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Jun 3, 2009, 07:39 PM

Both fan and control are brand new. Fan is Redington IV 52" came with remote control option (which I did not install). Wall mounted control made by Hunter... model 27182 (three wires red/blue/black). Control has light dimmer and 3 speed control for fan. Wired as the following:
    Black (switch)/Black (Power In)
    Red (switch)/Red (to light)
    Blue (Switch)/Black (to fan)
    White (Power In)/White (to fan) (white is spliced, does not connect to switch)

Hope this gives you what you need... I don't know all the proper terminology. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:14 PM

Does the remote control for the fan (that you did not use) have a reverse button?

Jun 4, 2009, 06:17 AM
    No. The reverse switch is on the fan itself.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 01:57 PM

Ok, try wiring the fan without the control and confirm everything works properly.

Jun 5, 2009, 03:01 PM

I hard wired the fan and it operates perfectly with the pull chains. And in fact the bulbs are shining a what we believe to be normal brightness. To me that means it was the control.

In the mean time I contacted Hunter about the control. They are sending me a new one, although I might change switches anyway. Anybody have any recommendations for a good control... preferably with dimmer. Thanks for the help.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 03:49 PM

There's a good chance the control was wired wrong, so be careful with the new one. Hunter brand is fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with wiring a HUNTER Ceiling Fan and Light Control [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently replacing a light switch with a ceiling fan and light control. The description of what I am replacing with is: http://www.littmanbros.com/pd_hunter_27182.cfm I currently have a ceiling fan with a light kit (and it too high off the ground to have the fan controlled by a pull...

Hunter ceiling fan Remote control replacement. [ 22 Answers ]

This is driving me nuts. OK I know where the b and w wires go from the fan to the receiver also the " one " that says light out " which is red. What I have left on the receiver is Fan out and Common out. From the fan there is a brown wire by its self and a bundle with red, yel, gray,...

Hunter ceiling fan remote control replacement [ 5 Answers ]

I was given a replacement remote/reciever at Lowe's. Some kid told me it would work. I ohmed out the motor which has two windings (pink to yellow and red to grey). I paralelled the two windings with the new receiver output and neutral. The fan doesn't run as fast as it did before. The winding ohmed...

Reprogramming a Hunter Ceiling Fan Remote Control [ 1 Answers ]

How do I reprogram a Hunter ceiling fan remote control #85095-01?

View more questions Search