Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bibler Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Bathtub caulking
    Hi,

I have asked this question a short while ago and I am back with the same issue:

[I was doing some caulking work on the bathtub edge. I did it the same way I used to. This time round, something funny happened. Parts of it started coming off during a shower. It was a bit sticky and feels like it was melting. The stuff hardens after it dried up.
    I had it left there for over 40 hours before I took the shower. The water may be hotter than usual but that is the same water temperature I have used in the past. Does anyone know why?]

The new caulk slowly falls off after the shower. I have checked and I don't think there is moisture in the area before I applied the caulk. I have purchased a new bottle of caulk for the purpose. Once the water dries, the caulk kind of hardens.

I am just wondering if the type of caulk that is the source of the problem. Prior to doing it these few times, my wife had applied the clear silicone caulk to the area and it did not look nice. Therefore, I took it off and tried applying bath and tub caulk and as you know, I did it 3 time already and it is not working. I have chiseled the area very thoroughly. I was just wondering if further cleaning is necessary, for example, using solution to completely take out any possible silicon leftovers; although I don't seem to see any or feel any.

Thanks in advance
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 03:37 PM

Not sure what brand of caulk you have or when it was made but I'd ditch that tube. I use Dap Kwik seal plus and have never had any problems. I also never have a tube more than a month old either.
    topcat6 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2009, 04:01 PM

Nothing sticks to silicone except silicone. If there was a coat of silicone caulk then it has to be completely removed or you must continue to use silicone based caulk only.

Jun 3, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Not sure what brand of caulk you have or when it was made but I'd ditch that tube. I use Dap Kwik seal plus and have never had any problems. I also never have a tube more than a month old either.
    I have been using Dap Kwik Seal the last three times.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat6 View Post
    nothing sticks to silicone except silicone. If there was a coat of silicone caulk then it has to be completly removed or you must continue to use silicone based caulk only.
    So, in case I don't completely remove the old silicone, I should just use new silicone. Is GE a good brand? What about the texture, if it applies? My wife was using the clear silicone and I will of course use the white one.

Jun 3, 2009, 05:12 PM

Use 100% silicone caulk, for bathroom applications make sure its mold & mildew resistant and GE makes a good Bio one. A old trick for a good pro look is to use blue painters tape and apply it allong the edges. Caulk and run your finger to smooth it out then remove the tape immediately prior to the caulk setting or you will pull the caulk out.

Jun 4, 2009, 03:30 PM
    use 100% silicone caulk, for bathroom applications make sure its mold & mildew resistent and GE makes a good Bio one. A old trick for a good pro look is to use blue painters tape and apply it allong the edges. Caulk and run your finger to smooth it out then remove the tape imediatly prior to the caulk setting or you will pull the caulk out.
    Do I need to use solution or alcohol to clean up the area super well?

Jun 4, 2009, 06:36 PM

Careful, certain chemicals can effect the finish on some tubs. Cast iron or acrilic?

Jun 5, 2009, 07:05 AM
    careful, certain chemicals can effect the finish on some tubs. cast iron or acrilic?
    I don't know what they are made of. They are just regular tiles and tub from the builder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub caulking [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, I have caulked tubs along the wall many of times in my life. But, I have never had this problem. The caulk even after curing for 36 hours seems to melt after just a couple days. I becomes liquid again, just as if it was out of the tube. I am so confused. It is a jacuzzi style tub with tiled...

Caulking the tub [ 1 Answers ]

We used Dap Kitchen and Bath Adhesive Caulk. We let it dry for two Days. But it washes off. Is there something better, that will be pliable Yet firm enough to stay put?

Shower caulking won't dry [ 7 Answers ]

We did a bathroom remodel which included new tile in the shower. Walls and floor. We have run a bead of caulking where the shower wall meets the floor. The caulking appears to dry at first but after a few days it forms bubbles in places and begins to break down. It never really drys. We...

Downstairs bathtub fills when draining upstairs bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

OK, my old house (1959) with all new plumbing (2008) is having some problems already, when using the upstairs bathtub for the first time, I was shocked when I noticed that my small downstairs bathtub was full of dirty water. And the toilet beside the small downstairs bathtub would only drain slowly...

Caulking during the winter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sliding glass door that is leaking due from snow melting off the upper deck. Can I apply caulk during the winter months will it hold until we can look at the deck above after the snow melts? Thanks

View more questions Search