Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ytown Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 02:26 PM
    When was inherited house built?
    I've inherited a house that my grandfather's parents built in a small town. How do I find out when it was built?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 03:51 PM

visit the town records. Do you have a town hall ?

Jun 3, 2009, 03:56 PM
    There is a town hall. The city's website isn't helpful and the county's website doesn't have an online database for that area. I don't live in the town, so I can't just stroll in and ask someone.
    Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ytown View Post
    There is a town hall. The city's website isn't helpful and the county's website doesn't have an online database for that area. I don't live in the town, so I can't just stroll in and ask someone.
    I would consider that an adventure and just go visit. If you have inherited the property, then you have every right to do so.

Tick
    Hot Corn Bread Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Jun 3, 2009, 04:00 PM
    There may be some bricks in the foundation or chimney that have a mfg date embedded in them that would get you close.
    Your county land records may have old original plats of subdivided land divided into building lots.
    My parents home has bricks fired dated 1938. They bought the house in 1942.

At my county land records office I found a subdivision plat dated 1910. There was one house
    Shown for about 70 lots. I enjoy the searching for more history. LOL
    Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Corn Bread View Post
    There may be some bricks in the foundation or chimney that have a mfg date embedded in them that would get you close.
    Your county land records may have old original plats of subdivided land divided into building lots.
    My parents home has bricks fired dated 1938. They bought the house in 1942.

At my county land records office I found a subdivision plat dated 1910. There was one house
    shown for bout 70 lots. I enjoy the searching for more history. LOL
    Grandfathers parents takes it back much further than you have gone. That's why it may take some digging in a town hall. I am thinking of mid l800s which would mean, not only fired bricks, which is unlikely but foundation would have been made from limestone, rocks, found in the immediate area.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:05 PM

What does the title search say?

Jun 7, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Thanks. You've given me plenty of ideas on how to start looking for more info.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jun 7, 2009, 01:09 PM
    To make one thing clear, I'm not sure about the state you live in, but here in VA, all real estate information is public. Even if it's not on a government website. You might have to dig around the courts a little to find what you are looking for. But if it has anything to do with real estate, it's all in the court house.

For instance I can find out the tax assessment on any piece of property just by visiting the commissioner of the revenues office. I can look up my own house deed at the clerk of court office. I recently wanted to know who owned a lot next to mine because I was interested in buying it. The clerk of court helped me locate the tax number and with that information I went upstairs and the commissioner of revenue told me who owned it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 03:34 PM

Most of the info you want is not on the internet. You will have to do a physical visit.

1. the city building office to search for all building permits, will show improvements and the such

2. tax records, will show a major change, from land value to land and house valve

3. deed records.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jun 7, 2009, 04:29 PM

Sometimes Chuck, some houses may predate building permits though.

And if you live in a county like mine where the court house burned down not once, but twice in the last 100 years you may be SOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the house inherited property? [ 6 Answers ]

My mother passed in May leaving my brother and I both executors and beneficiaries of her estate. It turns out, without either of our knowledge, she changed her deed to make herself, myself, and my brother "joint tenants with survivorship" This transfer was made in March 2003 and she passed in May...

House Plans needed for house built in 1978. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I Have been looking for plans for my house. I have exhausted all of the resources given to me. I am not able to find plan books from back then though. The original owner/builder doesn't have them anymore. No one has a copy anymore, they have all been recycled. It has 2 bedrooms and 1...

Inherited House Tax [ 10 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their late father’s house. He willed 50% to each. The house value at the time of his death was $244K (tax assessment). The house had an $86K mortgage, which was paid off out of the estate assets. My wife and I are very well off so she decided to “sell” her...

View more questions Search